Exterior Post your issues with Exterior parts here! Exterior covers Body, Doors, Locks, Physical Removal/install lights, Hoods, fenders, etc. For Fundamentally Electrical issues, post on Electrical

Ridiculous Water Accumulation

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SirCharlo is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Ridiculous Water Accumulation

Hey all.
My baby (96 Civic LX Sedan) accumulates water when it rains. Alot. Like a couple of cm.
Only on the front and back passenger side. The floor is swamped. But on the passenger side only !

What can it be ? Can I fix it myself ?

Thx alot
Old 12-03-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ridiculous Water Accumulation

well you need to figure out where its coming in from. if you cant see it, then you may need to take out the carpet and stuff and use a garden hose to find where water is coming in from.
Old 12-03-2009
Premium Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

Passenger water... hmm, heater core maybe?
Old 12-07-2009
Registered!!

SirCharlo is an unknown quantity at this point

Damn... Gues i'll wait for the winter to pass and then i'll hose it down to see where the leak is...

Thanks
Old 12-08-2009
Registered!!

damokc is an unknown quantity at this point

iv got a 98 and i get about 3or4 cm in my boot/trunk in the spare wheel well!!
Old 12-10-2009
Registered!!

CivicAK is an unknown quantity at this point

CHECK YOUR TAIL LIGHT GASKETS. Common for civics 96-2000. Ive had a 99 and now a 2000 and they both had leaky tail light gaskets.

Is the rear seat wet as well?
Old 12-16-2009
Registered!!

Simbashi is an unknown quantity at this point

ive got a 96 DX, after it rains you can hear the bathtub in the spare tire well sloshing around. I would guess that I just need to replace the rubber sealer around the inside of the trunk lip though.
Old 12-16-2009
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

you have to get inside the trunk with a flashlight while its raining and see where water is coming from. usually its never the trunk seal.
Old 12-16-2009
Registered!!

other than the taillights, what could it be if its a trunk issue?
Old 12-16-2009
Premium Member

mine was leaking bad from the rear window trim (the black piece that goes around the passenger rear window). there are clips that go into holes in the car body to hold it on, and water was getting in from there and slowly dripping down the frame into the trunk and finally to the bottom where the spare tire was. i put some rubber sealer goo into the hole and around the clip, and it never leaked again.
Old 12-16-2009
Registered!!

Jtshemi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Simbashi
other than the taillights, what could it be if its a trunk issue?
If you open the trunk and pull up the carpet on the left side there is a heat vent that feeds through to the outside. Thats where my leak was, when i got that nasty water in my trunk. I just used gasket maker and sealed it all up and hasnt done it in 6 months.
Old 12-16-2009
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Jtshemi
If you open the trunk and pull up the carpet on the left side there is a heat vent that feeds through to the outside. Thats where my leak was, when i got that nasty water in my trunk. I just used gasket maker and sealed it all up and hasnt done it in 6 months.
nice - thanks for the heads up. is that stuff fairly cheap?
Old 12-16-2009
Registered!!

random task is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by CivicAK
CHECK YOUR TAIL LIGHT GASKETS. Common for civics 96-2000. Ive had a 99 and now a 2000 and they both had leaky tail light gaskets.

After owning my 6th gen for less than two weeks this is the first issue I've encountered. I checked the tail lights and sure enough the drivers side tail light was leaking water into the trunk area. Last night I got in there and removed the tail light. The gasket was partially torn along the bottom. I applied a small amount of silicone sealant and hope it did the trick.
Old 12-16-2009
Registered!!

CivicAK is an unknown quantity at this point

you bought new gaskets right? Im gonna slap you if you left the old gasket in there and just put some silicone on it

Tail light gaskets are common for 6th gen honda's, or atleast civic's. $20 a gasket, times 2 gaskets+ TOTAL B.S.
Old 12-16-2009
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
cb450sc is an unknown quantity at this point

When I had my major leak I checked with the dealer about the gaskets. They said they never install new ones, they simply use silicone. My leaks were from both tail lights as well as the joint in the right rear of the car inside the trunk. The sealant had worn and torn over time and water was leaking in. I applied silicone over that as well. My daughters car is now dry as a bone. Thanks to Gearbox for his help when I was dealing with my flood!
Old 12-17-2009
Registered!!

random task is an unknown quantity at this point

you bought new gaskets right? Im gonna slap you if you left the old gasket in there and just put some silicone on it

Tail light gaskets are common for 6th gen honda's, or atleast civic's. $20 a gasket, times 2 gaskets+ TOTAL B.S.
He He, I guess reading that it seems as if I just gooped it up. No, I went down to the Honda dealer and picked up the gasket set. I replaced all of them but the drivers side didn't want to "seat" correctly so that's where the silicone came in. I applied a not so generous amount to the tail light bucket and let it set up before reinstalling the light.
Old 02-24-2021
Registered!!

Michael Batson is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes my rear seat on drivers side is wet,also my back floor boards are really wet.what would cause this?
Old 02-24-2021
Registered!!

Michael Batson is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes my rear seat is wet but only on drivers back seat, also my back; floor board on both side is very wet what would cause this?
Old 02-24-2021
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,131 Likes on 945 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Learn how to check for water leaks, lots of videos on YouTube