Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Exterior (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/373-exterior)
-   -   Ridiculous Water Accumulation (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/373-exterior/324210-ridiculous-water-accumulation.html)

SirCharlo 12-03-2009 05:54 PM

Ridiculous Water Accumulation

Hey all.
My baby (96 Civic LX Sedan) accumulates water when it rains. Alot. Like a couple of cm. :flush:
Only on the front and back passenger side. The floor is swamped. But on the passenger side only !

What can it be ? Can I fix it myself ?

Thx alot

gearbox 12-03-2009 06:54 PM

Re: Ridiculous Water Accumulation

well you need to figure out where its coming in from. if you cant see it, then you may need to take out the carpet and stuff and use a garden hose to find where water is coming in from.

TRIZ 12-03-2009 08:18 PM

Passenger water... hmm, heater core maybe?

SirCharlo 12-07-2009 04:43 PM

Damn... Gues i'll wait for the winter to pass and then i'll hose it down to see where the leak is...

Thanks

damokc 12-08-2009 03:46 PM

iv got a 98 and i get about 3or4 cm in my boot/trunk in the spare wheel well!!

CivicAK 12-10-2009 07:29 PM

CHECK YOUR TAIL LIGHT GASKETS. Common for civics 96-2000. Ive had a 99 and now a 2000 and they both had leaky tail light gaskets.

Is the rear seat wet as well?

Simbashi 12-16-2009 12:07 AM

ive got a 96 DX, after it rains you can hear the bathtub in the spare tire well sloshing around. I would guess that I just need to replace the rubber sealer around the inside of the trunk lip though.

gearbox 12-16-2009 12:37 AM

you have to get inside the trunk with a flashlight while its raining and see where water is coming from. usually its never the trunk seal.

Simbashi 12-16-2009 12:42 AM

other than the taillights, what could it be if its a trunk issue?

gearbox 12-16-2009 01:35 AM

mine was leaking bad from the rear window trim (the black piece that goes around the passenger rear window). there are clips that go into holes in the car body to hold it on, and water was getting in from there and slowly dripping down the frame into the trunk and finally to the bottom where the spare tire was. i put some rubber sealer goo into the hole and around the clip, and it never leaked again.

Jtshemi 12-16-2009 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by Simbashi (Post 4449007)
other than the taillights, what could it be if its a trunk issue?

If you open the trunk and pull up the carpet on the left side there is a heat vent that feeds through to the outside. Thats where my leak was, when i got that nasty water in my trunk. I just used gasket maker and sealed it all up and hasnt done it in 6 months.

Simbashi 12-16-2009 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Jtshemi (Post 4449017)
If you open the trunk and pull up the carpet on the left side there is a heat vent that feeds through to the outside. Thats where my leak was, when i got that nasty water in my trunk. I just used gasket maker and sealed it all up and hasnt done it in 6 months.

nice - thanks for the heads up. is that stuff fairly cheap?

random task 12-16-2009 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by CivicAK (Post 4448212)
CHECK YOUR TAIL LIGHT GASKETS. Common for civics 96-2000. Ive had a 99 and now a 2000 and they both had leaky tail light gaskets.

After owning my 6th gen for less than two weeks this is the first issue I've encountered. I checked the tail lights and sure enough the drivers side tail light was leaking water into the trunk area. Last night I got in there and removed the tail light. The gasket was partially torn along the bottom. I applied a small amount of silicone sealant and hope it did the trick.

CivicAK 12-16-2009 09:26 PM

you bought new gaskets right? Im gonna slap you if you left the old gasket in there and just put some silicone on it:hithead:

Tail light gaskets are common for 6th gen honda's, or atleast civic's. $20 a gasket, times 2 gaskets+ TOTAL B.S.

cb450sc 12-16-2009 09:50 PM

When I had my major leak I checked with the dealer about the gaskets. They said they never install new ones, they simply use silicone. My leaks were from both tail lights as well as the joint in the right rear of the car inside the trunk. The sealant had worn and torn over time and water was leaking in. I applied silicone over that as well. My daughters car is now dry as a bone. Thanks to Gearbox for his help when I was dealing with my flood!

random task 12-17-2009 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by CivicAK (Post 4449134)
you bought new gaskets right? Im gonna slap you if you left the old gasket in there and just put some silicone on it:hithead:

Tail light gaskets are common for 6th gen honda's, or atleast civic's. $20 a gasket, times 2 gaskets+ TOTAL B.S.

He He, I guess reading that it seems as if I just gooped it up. No, I went down to the Honda dealer and picked up the gasket set. I replaced all of them but the drivers side didn't want to "seat" correctly so that's where the silicone came in. I applied a not so generous amount to the tail light bucket and let it set up before reinstalling the light.

Michael Batson 02-24-2021 01:37 PM

Yes my rear seat on drivers side is wet,also my back floor boards are really wet.what would cause this?

Michael Batson 02-24-2021 02:02 PM

Yes my rear seat is wet but only on drivers back seat, also my back; floor board on both side is very wet what would cause this?

Colin42 02-24-2021 05:43 PM

Learn how to check for water leaks, lots of videos on YouTube