Exterior Post your issues with Exterior parts here! Exterior covers Body, Doors, Locks, Physical Removal/install lights, Hoods, fenders, etc. For Fundamentally Electrical issues, post on Electrical

Hood Latch broken due to rad support cracking

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
joeldbaum is an unknown quantity at this point
Hood Latch broken due to rad support cracking

I have a 2003 Civic 2 door LX. I was cleaning out the engine bay today as I am getting ready to sell this car for a new one with a few less miles. When I went to latch the hood it didn't latch. It would hook but not go all the way down. I tried a few more times before I decided to take a look at what was causing this issue. Upon closer inspection, I realized that my hood latch had a lot of play in it. I then got right up to it with a headlamp on and realized that my radiator support, particularly the top of the middle beam where the hood latch had spider web cracks all throughout it and two of the three bolts holding the hood latch had ripped through the rad support that they normally thread through.

Thinking back there had been some play in my hood since this winter and I had to jump my car several times as it got down to -40C where I live. I wonder if these cracks and the shearing may have happened while opening the hood repeatedly during the cold snap.

Any ideas on what I can do short of replacing the entire rad support on a car that I am planning on selling and isn't worth more than $1500?

Should I go to pick and pull and hack out a section of rad support from another civic and weld it onto what's left of the current one or maybe some large washers to pinch enough of the remaining rad support? I am going to look at it more in depth tomorrow and I will post pictures then.
Old 05-15-2019
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,443 Likes on 1,198 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: Hood Latch broken due to rad support cracking

look in car-part.com - scrap yard database.
or just sell it for lower price and tell the buyer about the issue
Old 05-15-2019
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,127 Likes on 942 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

How good are your welding skills?
Old 05-15-2019
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

One few times it makes sense to put some hood pins on.
Old 05-15-2019
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,443 Likes on 1,198 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

actually, scratch the lower the price - at the age our cars are now, the buyer is not likely to think too much about the issues. They will be there whatever they may wish for.
Old 06-09-2019
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
bbynams has a spectacular aura aboutbbynams has a spectacular aura aboutbbynams has a spectacular aura about

Old 06-09-2019
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bbynams
Is that only glued together with JB Weld or something? Looks like a hack repair IMO
Old 06-09-2019

Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ezone
Is that only glued together with JB Weld or something? Looks like a hack repair IMO
+1 for bubblegum welds
Old 06-09-2019
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
bbynams has a spectacular aura aboutbbynams has a spectacular aura aboutbbynams has a spectacular aura about

The metal is super thin. You might be able to tacKweld it like a pro, but I burned a hole right through it. Try your best!
Old 06-10-2019

better fix is to drill out the spot welds and replace the entire piece, either with one from a junkyard or a new one.
or use an additional piece of metal for better support and weld to that