Exterior Post your issues with Exterior parts here! Exterior covers Body, Doors, Locks, Physical Removal/install lights, Hoods, fenders, etc. For Fundamentally Electrical issues, post on Electrical

Driver Rear Window Problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
crispychris9 is an unknown quantity at this point
Driver Rear Window Problems

Hello everybody this is the first time I am posting. Anyways I'm having trouble on my 03 Honda Civic 4-door EX driver rear window where window would not go back up but would only go down so far I have tested the wires replaced the fuse and even have the motor and regulator out of the door I get power for the window to go up and down from the switch but from the master only for the window to just go up. Not too sure really what to do I was thinking it was the motor because it only goes down however I tested with another motor today that I got was the wrong size because it was the Japanese one not the Canadian / USA built one however that one would only go down also not up. So is it electrical issues? Has anybody ran into this before and maybe you can point me in the right direction? Thanks again so much for your help in advance!
Old 01-24-2019
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
Re: Driver Rear Window Problems

so the switch in the rear door works but the master doesn't?
how did you test the wires? they tend to break where the harness flexes from the door opening and closing
Old 01-24-2019
Registered!!

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light

Many times the cause is a broken wire at the driver's side front wire bundle between the 2 hinges. I had the wire repaired at this location and it solved the rear passenger side window not going up. Common sense says that the problem might be at the problem door area but you should check the driver's door wires too. I was lucky to find a shop that found the problem right away and repair it. That wire conduit at the driver's area gets a lot of flex time and wires eventually break.
Old 01-24-2019
Super Moderator

Received 1,848 Likes on 1,300 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

I had a similar issue with a previous Civic I had. I checked all the wires for continuity and found nothing. I then checked the master switch itself and I wasn't getting continuity for either up or down (I cannot remember which). I was able to pull the switch out, take it apart, and clean the contacts. Everything worked afterwards.
Old 01-25-2019
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Colin42
so the switch in the rear door works but the master doesn't?
how did you test the wires? they tend to break where the harness flexes from the door opening and closing
Yes the switch on the driver rear door works (gets signal for up and down to the wires) but the window motor only functions in the down position. This was tested with a test light. And thank you for your reply along with everyone else. I have checked the harness on both doors and they seem to be fine but I will look again.

I did notice that from the master switch when I hit the down for the rear driver window it powers up the brown wire from that harness but the brown wire on the rear driver door gets no power. So it must be a wire fault with that brown wire. But when I put it in the up position it powers the brown and white stripe wire and I can recieve juice in the back from that wire.

Also, when I apply power from the battery jumper pack directly to the power window motor I can get it to move in both directions but not when it is hooked up to the car wires. But since I removed the window regulator and motor from the door along with the regulator from the motor (wish I never would have done) the cable got all messed up and is getting all bound and tangled when I try and put it back in. I'm so over this just want a working window
Old 01-25-2019

Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by crispychris9
Also, when I apply power from the battery jumper pack directly to the power window motor I can get it to move in both directions but not when it is hooked up to the car wires. But since I removed the window regulator and motor from the door along with the regulator from the motor (wish I never would have done) the cable got all messed up and is getting all bound and tangled when I try and put it back in. I'm so over this just want a working window
well it sounds like you're going to need a new regulator now

Originally Posted by crispychris9

I did notice that from the master switch when I hit the down for the rear driver window it powers up the brown wire from that harness but the brown wire on the rear driver door gets no power. So it must be a wire fault with that brown wire. But when I put it in the up position it powers the brown and white stripe wire and I can recieve juice in the back from that wire.
that wire is the problem, you need to find the break
you need to pull the boots off the harness to check the wires properly, they break inside the boot
This video shows you how to remove a rear harness, front will be similar
​​​​​​​
(Not my video)
Old 01-25-2019
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Likely a broken wire.

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/a...7&d=1350598426
Old 01-30-2019
Registered!!

Hello everybody thank you again for all your replies and especially for that video that really helped it turned out to be the driver side Loom see the picture and yes I also got a new window motor and regulator and then everything worked thank God! Thanks again so much for all the help again
Old 01-30-2019

Glad you got it figured out