Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Rear Driver Window Stopped Working

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dougal813 is an unknown quantity at this point
Rear Driver Window Stopped Working

I'm trying to fix the rear driver side window in my 2004 civic. The window is permanently down and won't move with either the master or door controls. I initially thought it was the motor but replaced the motor and the window still does't go up. I did notice, however, that with the new motor since the slide was in the middle that I could move the window down.

I want to test the voltage at the switch but am not sure which wires control up and which control down.

Can anyone help me troubleshoot/diagnose the issue? Is it the switch or a short?
Old 04-16-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Rear Driver Window Stopped Working

I wouldn't immediately suspect the master switch as bad unless one of the buttons "feels funny".
A wire diagram and volt/ohm meter will be handy.

If you really think it is a rear switch, just swap it with the one from the other rear door that works. Swap both sides, check both switches in the good door.

Hint: It won't be a bad rear door switch. They will both be good.

Scratch your head....

You already got another motor and it still doesn't work, so it is missing either power or ground to it. Which?? Where?? You have to find it.

Scratch your head again.

Cuss a few times, it helps.

Clues: Get yourself a wire diagram--If you don't want to buy a manual then try your local library. Many have access to Alldata and/or Mitchell, you can use them. Some libraries even allow you to use their access from your home computer.

Check wire continuity between the drivers master switch harness and the rear door that is inop. When you figure out there is a missing ground, then peel back the rubber boot covering the harness in the jamb of the door. Look for broken wires, the ground is the fattest wire and breaks first.

Quicker check (10 second diagnostic CHEAT)-- IF it makes the window go up: Key on, hold the window switch button up --- trying to roll the window up---open the rear door all the way slowly. Close the door slowly. If the window motor tries to move at all as you open or close the door, the harness is broken where it flexes in the jamb.

A new harness for that door is dirt cheap; for the cost of a new door harness I will NEVER waste my time patching one again.

I could be wrong, but I bet I'm not wrong.

HTH