Exterior Post your issues with Exterior parts here! Exterior covers Body, Doors, Locks, Physical Removal/install lights, Hoods, fenders, etc. For Fundamentally Electrical issues, post on Electrical

Door Lock Issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jrb121180 will become famous soon enough
Door Lock Issues

Wondering if any of you guys have experienced this problem. Driver side door lock quit working about a 2yrs ago. It was a gradual problem where the key wouldn't go in smooth, and then you had to play with it to get it to work till eventually it wouldn't work at all. Like it wouldn't go in all the way or turn left or right. So i was then forced to unlock the car from the passenger side and reach across to unlock the drivers door. Then the passenger door started to do the same thing. I swapped keys with the wife because hers worked fine, no problem. That was a year or so ago but alas now i am having the same problem. It just took me like 10min to get into my car at the grocery store. I was about to have to crawl through the trunk, which the key work perfectly fine in by the way. That and the ignition,no problems.

So basically i was just wondering have any of you guys had this problem? Is it something common or did i just get bad locks or something, or could it be the key. Honda told me id have to have the whole car re-keyed and it was going to be pricey. I think my only option is to have keyless entry installed and pray the battery doesn't die. Thank for the feedback!
Old 05-19-2011
Registered!!

Thom48363 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Door Lock Issues

I actually had this problem too. It seemed to be worse after it rained/snowed so i figured there was water getting in there somehow. I just put some wd40 in there and it works great now.
Old 05-19-2011
Registered!!

Yeah i tried that at first, didn't seem to help. Honda says it's something with the tumblers in the lock it's self. Thanks for the advice though.
Old 05-19-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

mine did not unlock, several times, but it was at -34 C here in Quebec
Old 05-19-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

same here, just driver side tho. i replaced the whole actuator motor and latch assembly from majestic for under $100 and 10 mins of time. key opens it nice and smooth now.
Old 05-20-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
same here, just driver side tho. i replaced the whole actuator motor and latch assembly from majestic for under $100 and 10 mins of time. key opens it nice and smooth now.
Wish mine was that simple this is the lock itself. The passenger side is now completely done for. Key wont go in all the way and if it does it wont turn to unlock the door. I've just been having to leave it unlocked. It's either that or crawl through the trunk every time.
Old 07-18-2011
Registered!!

bugout57 is an unknown quantity at this point

My problem is similar to jrb121180. Mine are manual door locks with the "snake" keyway and first the drivers side quit accepting the key about a year ago so I did the "open passenger side door and reach over" until today when the passenger side also wont accept the key. The reason I didnt fix it before (besides being lazy) was that Honda said they could not get me a lock to match my existing key, so I would have two of those big keys in my pocket (now I suppose 3). Is there a good source out there for quality parts besides Honda cuz I guess I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and order a couple door locks and I dont want to pay Honda prices for something that is obviously not going to last.
Thanks, Sam
Old 07-18-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

have you tried silicone spray in the lock hole and on the moving parts behind the door panel?
Old 07-19-2011
Registered!!

nsxvtec will become famous soon enough

If you have the time and patience along with a few simple proper tools, the entire lock cylinder can be remove, disassembled and made to work properly again.

We do this all the time. Pretty simple task once you know the tricks.

If the lock/cylinder/pins are seized, once you remove the cylinder from the door you will see what it is all about. You can also use pins from a scrap yard same model door lock to re-pin the lock back to your original key if needed.

Lube and spray in the lock cylinder occasionally helps to stop this from happening.
Most people use remote access, so the lock key cylinders hardly get used and tend to corrode and jam.

Last edited by nsxvtec; 07-19-2011 at 12:28 PM.
Old 07-19-2011
Registered!!

bugout57 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nsxvtec
If you have the time and patience along with a few simple proper tools, the entire lock cylinder can be remove, disassembled and made to work properly again.

If the lock/cylinder/pins are seized, once you remove the cylinder from the door you will see what it is all about. You can also use pins from a scrap yard same model door lock to re-pin the lock back to your original key if needed.

Lube and spray in the lock cylinder occasionally helps to stop this from happening.
Most people use remote access, so the lock key cylinders hardly get used and tend to corrode and jam.
Yeah, after the drivers side quit I lubed the pass side real good but it quit anyway. I may take the suggestion to remove them this weekend and see if I can rebuild/repair. If not I think they are about $35 each at Majestic. Thanks for the tips,
Sam
Old 11-25-2014
Registered!!

Dee_lg is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nsxvtec

So how exactly I learn to assemble the lock cylinder. Do you know of a video. Also will it be the same to put in remote locks?