Electrical, Wiring, and In Car Entertainment Electrical, Wiring and In Car Entertainment questions belong here.

Broken wiring - door?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MamaBear2015 is an unknown quantity at this point
Broken wiring - door?

We just bought a 1998 Civic LX and the door lock switch on the driver's side won't open and close all the locks. We had a keyless and alarm system put in, and it won't control the locks either. It's making us crazy.

Someone said that, because the doors open and close so much, the wires can break.

I just called an auto electrical repair place and they said that, because they might have to splice wires in both doors, it's time consuming and could cost $400-$600!

I'm a former electronics technician, though not for cars. The last time I got into door panels was in our 2002 Corolla and I wound up busting some of the fasteners because I didn't know how to remove everything ( yes, even with these videos they have for everything now ).

I definitely don't want to have to get into actually removing the door(s). Is this something that I can work on fairly easily, or should I just look for a less expensive place?
Old 05-18-2015
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Broken wiring - door?

On my 7th gen Civic (yours is 6th), I didn't have any issues getting the panel off. I'm DEFINITELY not an electrician or mechanic!
Old 05-18-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Broken wiring - door?

Shall I merge this thread with your last thread on this same subject?

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...ix-myself.html

Wiring and electrical is typically billed as time and materials (or, "cost plus") and there isn't any way for one to know ahead of time (estimate accurately) how long it will take unless they have done the same job several times recently. Yes it is time consuming work.

I have done the jamb harness repairs without removing the door.

Fasteners are easy to break on door panels, anyone can do it LOL. No big deal IMO, just be careful with it and pry carefully.