Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

SRS light on again

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blazz is an unknown quantity at this point
SRS light on again

I bought a 2002 civic with some small problems.

I fixed most of them but this fix with Resetting the SRS light came back..

After I reset the SRS the light stayed off for about a month.. with in that month the side airbag off light would come on then off when I had my daughter in the passenger seat... Once I seen it come on with no passenger and there was the other time with my wife in the seat.

I pulled out the seats to wield in a new floorboard and seat bracket. When I was pulling the seats out I found the wires under both seats have broken clamps that hold the connectors to the seat. After seeing that I checked wires and found electronics tap on the round yellow connector wire,, not sue but looks like the airbag wire.

How do the side air bags work,, what would make them turn off and on..
I see the passenger seat has one more connector under it then the driver seat..

Is there a pressure switch in the passenger seat that can tell if a light passenger is setting there... because when my daughter is leaning on the door looking out the window it seems to be when I see the side air bag off light the most,,

Last edited by Blazz; 05-25-2015 at 12:11 AM.
Old 05-25-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: SRS light on again

Originally Posted by Blazz
I fixed most of them but this fix with Resetting the SRS light came back..
After I reset the SRS the light stayed off for about a month..
Red SRS light?
What fault code(s) did it have?

Reset is not a fix. It's only erasing codes that were caused by some failure. If you don't figure out and fix the failure, the codes are bound to eventually return.

Unless it was the yellow light for "side airbag off" you were trying to get rid of....

with in that month the side airbag off light would come on
Different light from the red SRS warning light.
This is a yellow light like a 'caution' light, not a warning light.

then off when I had my daughter in the passenger seat...
How old/big is the kid?
Small kids should be in the back seat whenever possible.

Once I seen it come on with no passenger
What was in the seat?
My laptop bag will trip the light in my car once in a while.
I've seen items as small as a fast food bag trip the lights in other cars.

How do the side air bags work,, what would make them turn off and on..
OPDS.

From Hondas site:

"Front Side Airbags with Passenger-Side Occupant Position Detection System (OPDS)

In the event of a moderate-to-severe side impact, the side airbag inflates to help protect the driver's or front passenger's upper body. The Occupant Position Detection System (OPDS) utilizes sensors in the front passenger's seatback to detect the height and seating position of the occupant.

If a child or small-statured adult is leaning into the deployment path of the side airbag, sensors deactivate it."

You see the yellow light once the thing is deactivated.

The text above refers to current OPDS systems, but your older system is similar.

I think the owners manual tells more about how your system works and what to watch out for. Check it out.

because when my daughter is leaning on the door looking out the window it seems to be when I see the side air bag off light the most,,
You figured part of how this system works here.
Sounds like it's working as it should.

I'll guess the kid is small and should be buckled in the back seat?
Old 05-25-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blazz is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for the reply.

I am trying to learn the system and you help is much useful.

I have a good scanning tool the car shows no codes but I don't think it scans for SRS trouble codes,, I know it don't do ABS,

When I got the car, The wires were all hanging on the floor under the seat. I found out that if the side air bag is unplugged it will turn on the SRS light and you have to reset the SRS system,, there was electronics tap on air bag wire, looks like a new connector was installed. So that's why I reset it. But it did came back on after about a month..

The side airbag light I was not sure why it would go on off on off i knew there must be some kind of sensor or bad wiring but its doing its job maybe.

I will get it scanned and go from there, again ty for you advance.

Last edited by Blazz; 05-25-2015 at 11:04 PM.
Old 05-25-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I will get it scanned and go from there
If the red light is staying on, you should find fault code(s).

If only the yellow light (S.A.B. off) comes on, there should be no codes as this is correct operation.

You may be able to get flash codes using the SCS method, but I don't think my info deciphers flash codes for SRS.