General Post issues, questions that are not in the other sub-forums

Car Caught Fire

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2020
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mdmd19 is an unknown quantity at this point
Car Caught Fire

My 2003 begin to overheat then died and caught on fire. Fire started under battery. What the hell happened and how much should I sell for parts? I recently Replaced timing belt, catalytic converter, battery and exhaust manifold. Coolant can was replaced a yr ago as well as fuel pump

Old 03-11-2020
Click Here

Received 1,157 Likes on 904 Posts
FRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Honda Civic EX Special Coupe exhaust and maintence

You really should start your own thread, but now that you're here...

It sounds like an electrical short somewhere; otherwise, your engine would be burned too. Something like this definitely isn't worth trying to save in my opinion, and I honestly doubt anyone else is going to want the headache. If you have the space and you're patient enough, you could try parting it out. That would net you the most return anyway. At that point though, I'd just let the junkyard take it away. You should be able to get around $200 for it from them.
The following users liked this post:
Mdmd19 (03-11-2020)
Old 03-11-2020
Super Moderator

Received 1,883 Likes on 1,327 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of
Re: Car Caught Fire

You either have the wrong battery or that one was hooked up backwards. That battery is group size 51 but there is also a group size 51R, R meaning reversed polarity. If using a 51R and hooking it up correctly the posts would be further towards the front of the car which is what yours looks like. With the posts further forward it's possible it could have shorted out to the hood or the hood prop strut, especially if it was missing the battery post cover.

Another thought, judging by the look of the engine bay I would say you have a bad head gasket. This would have caused coolant to eventually overflow from the reservoir which is next to the battery. Old coolant is conductive. Possibly enough coolant go on top of the battery and caused it to short, then catch fire.
The following users liked this post:
Mdmd19 (03-11-2020)
Old 03-11-2020
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mdmd19 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Car Caught Fire

Thank you. And sorry about the thread.