Electrical Post your questions about electrical issues here!

battery symptoms

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dorval Andre will become famous soon enough
battery symptoms

Hi all
We bought this civic a week ago or so. The battery terminals were very corroded on both sides. I cleaned them up and the car drove fine for a week.

Yesterday, my daughter called me and the car was dead. I get there and both terminals were well on their way back to being corroded again.

When I boosted, I could not connect the cables and feel the engine of the boosting car to sound like a load was on it. I removed both cables from the battery and tried the booster cables directly on the old battery. Same thing. No matter how much I tried, the old battery just doesn't seem to want to draw from the boosting car.

It's like the battery suddenly died.

I don't mind replacing the battery but this just seems a little strange. In 30-odd years of doing my own maintenance, I've never seen a battery corrode so quickly and apparently die like that?

Amy thoughts? Thanks to all
Old 05-05-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: battery symptoms

Many parts stores will test the battery for free. Look into that.

Battery can fail several different ways, and yes sudden total death can be a way.

If it was corroding the cable ends, it probably needed a battery anyway. Sulfuric acid has been leaking up between the post and plastic case causing the corrosion.

Next question is, has that corrosion caused damage to the cable ends?
Have you wire brushed the contact areas down to bare shiny metal?
Old 05-05-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dorval Andre will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by ezone
Next question is, has that corrosion caused damage to the cable ends?
Have you wire brushed the contact areas down to bare shiny metal?
We threw a new battery in to get her home. Tomorrow, we'll clean the heck out of the contact areas and also coat with vaseline.

Yeah, if the old one was getting so cruddy, so fast, I guess a new one was in order. On the bright side, at least that's one maintenance item she won't have to worry about for the next few years. Montreal winters can be hard on batteries.

thanks ezone
Old 05-06-2015
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

you shouldnt need to coat the terminals with anything, and DEFINITELY not BEFORE connecting the battery,

the terminal posts and connectors should be clean and dry when connecting the battery, even a tiny bit of oil can cause nightmares/poor connections,

terminal corrosion is caused by a leaking battery, so vaseline will not help or prevent it