Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Do I need to Replace my Car Battery?

Old 11-25-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
syzy27 is an unknown quantity at this point
Do I need to Replace my Car Battery?

Hi I have a Honda Civic 2010 Sedan LX.
My car mechanic says my car is running good no problems but when I go to Pepboys or Advanced Auto Parts they claim my battery is faulty. Should I replace my battery? I get car battery signals frequently on my dash.

Results of Car Battery Analysis:
Voltage: 12.79v
Measured: 401 CCA
Rated: 750 CCA
Temp: 110 F

Thanks in Advanced.
Old 11-25-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do I need to Replace my Car Battery?

The test would be a fail.....based only on the claimed 750CCA rating.

But why do you have a battery with such a large CCA installed? Wait....no...

IS YOUR BATTERY REALLY RATED AT 750 CCA????? Open the hood and read the labels on your battery.

The original factory installed battery (blue sticker?) was only rated at 310 CCA, and Hondas replacements are 500CCA.

I get car battery signals frequently on my dash.
Elaborate on this...
This light? :

When do you see this happen?

The alternator controls the red battery shaped warning light light, not the battery.
Old 11-26-2017
Registered!!

Yes my battery is actually 750 CCA. Just to let you know I don’t know anything about batteries my mechanic did this all for me. Is having a really big battery a good thing or bad thing? Also that’s the since I see occasionally coming up on the dash. I got it from a 3rd Party Autoshop as well?
Old 11-26-2017
Registered!!

I’ll get a picture of my battery in the hood later. But seriously I have a 750 CCA battery been driving this thing around a year and have no issues ever.
Old 11-26-2017

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by syzy27
Yes my battery is actually 750 CCA.
Is it oversized? Does it look too big for the tray it sits in and the bracket that straps it in place?

Correct dimensions for a Group 51R battery
9.4"L x 5.1"W x 8.8"H
Is having a really big battery a good thing or bad thing?
Neither IMO. You could run one of those cars on a lawn tractor battery if you had to, but it wouldn't have much reserve capacity.

Some people just try to install the biggest freekin battery they can fit in there, thinking it will last longer or something, that's not always the case.
Others may have better reasons for doing it
Also that’s the since I see occasionally coming up on the dash.
Did you type out an incomplete thought here? Need more info. See my previous reply
I got it from a 3rd Party Autoshop as well?
You got what from 3rd party shop, the battery or the alternator?
Old 11-26-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Is it oversized? Does it look too big for the tray it sits in and the bracket that straps it in place?

Correct dimensions for a Group 51R battery
9.4"L x 5.1"W x 8.8"HNeither IMO. You could run one of those cars on a lawn tractor battery if you had to, but it wouldn't have much reserve capacity.

Some people just try to install the biggest freekin battery they can fit in there, thinking it will last longer or something, that's not always the case.
Others may have better reasons for doing it
Did you type out an incomplete thought here? Need more info. See my previous reply
You got what from 3rd party shop, the battery or the alternator?
it looks a little big but it fits quite snug like it’s going no where. Also I got the battery and the alternator from the 3rd Party Autoshop. Sorry for not being specific. Again I had no issues whatsoever with the car like problems starting up, etc. It’s just my local Pepboys Advanced Autoparts and Autozone want to tell me that my car battery needs to be replaced because I might get stuck in the middle of the road.
Old 11-26-2017

Originally Posted by syzy27
Also I got the battery and the alternator from the 3rd Party Autoshop.
Ok so we know the battery fails its test but still starts the car okay for now.

So let us move on this part:

This light? :

When do you see this happen?
Fill me in with details of this situation.

The alternator controls the red battery shaped warning light light, not the battery.
If that battery light pictured above keeps coming on, it probably has a failed (junk) aftermarket alternator. Even though it may test as "charging ok", the internal voltage regulator is letting the warning light come on when it should not.

How consistently does the light stay on?
Old 11-26-2017
Registered!!

Ok so we know the battery fails its test but still starts the car okay for now.

So let us move on this part:

Fill me in with details of this situation.

If that battery light pictured above keeps coming on, it probably has a failed (junk) aftermarket alternator. Even though it may test as "charging ok", the internal voltage regulator is letting the warning light come on when it should not.

How consistently does the light stay on?
I see this light sometimes when I drive on a local road. Like the sign would come up for a minute or two minutes and then it will go away. After it wouldn’t appear for like two to three days. After it will come back again for a minute or two. And this keeps cycling at an intermittent speed.
Old 11-26-2017

Without being able to test it myself, and without the warning light consistently staying on, I'd SWAG a bad alternator.....

Would be easier to do a quick check if the warning light stayed on all the time.

Search this Thread