Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Transmission fill bolt vs. Oil drain bolt: same?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dziri is an unknown quantity at this point
Transmission fill bolt vs. Oil drain bolt: same?

Hello, first post:-)
I was about to change the transmission fluid on my 2003 Civic EX (stick shift) and noticed that the head of the fill bolt was stripped, so obviously I didn't go ahead with the fluid flush since I'm going to need a new bolt first.
On the outside, this bolt appears to look just like the oil pan drain bolt (17mm) but I couldn't find any info on the shank length and the thread size.
Could anybody please confirm that these two bolts are (or aren't) the same?
Thanks a lot:-)

P.S: this is the oil drain bolt, which was also stripped last time I changed the oil. Looks like some mechanics use impact guns to tighten oil drain bolts, which is also probably what he used on the transmission fill bolt. From now on, my car will never see the shop for oil and transmission fluid changes.

Stripped oil pan drain bolt
Old 10-05-2018
Registered!!

Re: Transmission fill bolt vs. Oil drain bolt: same?

Specs of the oil drain bolt:

Old 10-05-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Trans drainplug is PROBABLY also 14 x 1.5

Fill plug is listed as 20mm

Either order from a dealer or scrounge some from a salvage yard?
Get new sealing washers for both as well!

https://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com...ission-housing

Old 10-05-2018
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

Not saying they weren’t also using a impact gun, but by those marks seem like they were definately using SAE tools instead of metric....

Prolly what kept the impact gun from ripping the threads out..
Old 10-05-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Oil change by Mr. Goodpliers
Old 10-06-2018
Registered!!

Thanks a lot, ezone.
The link you provided helped me find a lot of info about that bolt (like in this Honda parts website)
Now at least I know it's Honda part# 92800-20000.
And since it's a 20mm bolt, it cannot be the same as the oil drain bolt (14mm) because the oil drain bolt thread spec is M14-1.5.
So therefore the transmission fill bolt must be M20-1.5 (number after the "M" is the diameter of the bolt, not its length). The "1.5" (called "thread pitch") is the distance in mm between each thread. This vid explains those numbers:
So now I'll have to research two more pieces of info: length of bolt and thread pitch.
The thread pitch is probably the same as the oil drain bolt (i.e, 1.5) but I can't be sure about the length, though I don't think the length would really matter in this case if it was a couple of millimeters longer or shorter.
Anyway, I'm just being **** about this stuff, lol. Like you said, I should just go to a Honda dealer and see if they have the darn bolt.
I'm just glad I was "smart enough" to check the fill bolt first, before loosening the drain bolt, lol.
Thanks again.