Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

oil pan drain bolt won't budge!!

Old 07-24-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
herroherror is an unknown quantity at this point
oil pan drain bolt won't budge!!

I've decided to change the oil in my car myself from now on so I attempted to do it today but the drain bolt wont budge at all. I used to go to valvoline and have it done. do you think they overtorqued it so it's not budging?

and also, i did not see the oil filter at all... where is that located?

maybe i'm just better off getting someone else to do it?
Old 07-24-2006
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

civic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond repute
Get some more muscle or a bigger wrench.

Crawl under the car towards the firewall and look up in there, you'll see the filter.
Old 07-24-2006
Official Rattlesnake Hunter

02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of
You havent stripped it yet???

Have you??

You need leverage over the bolt.

I have some troubles with that bolt also.

A rubber hammer is my best friend!
Old 07-24-2006
Registered!!

i hope i didnt strip it. i was using an adjustable wrench because I didn't have a big enough attachment for my ratchet. do you know what size that bolt is so I can buy an attachment for my ratchet?
Old 07-24-2006

02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of
DAMN bro I hope you’re not using a cresset wrench for this...

JUST get a 17mm wrench & a hammer!

Other wise if you already striped it

take it to the dealer & have them drill it out!

Good luck man!

Last edited by 02BLKCIVIC; 07-24-2006 at 07:04 PM.
Old 07-24-2006
Ever Wonder What P.O.S.B.A.S. Is An Acronym For

P.O.S.B.A.S.04 will become famous soon enoughP.O.S.B.A.S.04 will become famous soon enough
you won't have to take it do the dealer if you have a dremel! you can dremel it down to fit a socket. if you do that, please make sure you have a new oil plug to replace the old one, lol!
Old 07-24-2006
Registered!!

crazyasian will become famous soon enoughcrazyasian will become famous soon enough
the oil filter is right behind the engine. if u look straight up its underneath the intake manifold.
Old 07-24-2006
Registered!!

fallout is a jewel in the roughfallout is a jewel in the roughfallout is a jewel in the roughfallout is a jewel in the rough
Yup, get a bigger wrench, the longer the better. DO NOT USE THE CRESCENT WRENCH!
And make sure you're turning it counter clockwise. You'll be surpirsed.
Old 07-24-2006
Registered!!

ctx66 will become famous soon enoughctx66 will become famous soon enough
Chances are the idiots at valvoline used an air gun to put the drain bolt in. And why can't you use a crescent wrench? It may not be the best tool, but it will work. Personally, i use a 6pt box wrench, less chance of it slipping off the bolt and rounding off a corner. And if you cant get it off by trying to turn, just put a open ended wrench, or socket wrench on the plug, and bang it one way with a hammer. If my memory serves me right, you should be pushing the wrench towards the passenger wheel, counter-clockwise.

I forgot to mention if your drain plug is in that tight, your crush washer is probably toast. The crush washer goes between the drain plug, and the drain pan to prevent the pan threads from stretching in the event that the plug gets tightened too much.
Old 07-24-2006
Registered!!

Yoyoio is an unknown quantity at this point
I do not see the chance of anyone would use a air gun to put a drain bolt on, but if they do, they should not work on a car.

Long ratchet with a 17mm socket should do the job
Old 07-24-2006
jdmtytedoridori

Al Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of light
also, if and when you get this resolved, you should buy a fumoto oil drain valve. www.fumotovalve.com.

many people here use it, and it work well. it's really well built and it's nice just draining it just by opening that valve.

pm me if you want one.
Old 07-24-2006
Registered!!

thanks for the advice guys. i will retry it tomorrow and see how it goes with a 17mm wrench. i think the adjustable wrench i'm using adjusts itself bigger when I try turning it hard.
Old 07-24-2006
Registered!!

Taffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant future
I had this same problem the first time I changed my oil by myself, you just need a really long wrench with some leverage to get it off. Since you're under the car, gettin a good angle will be tough, just make sure you don't round off the bolt. Getting the oil filter off and back on can be a PITA, but just breathe, relax and you'll get it done.
Old 07-24-2006
Registered!!

Civicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of light
put some PB Blaster on there and get a bigger wrench that should do the trick
Old 07-24-2006
Registered!!

I managed to get to home depot 5 min before they closed to pick up a bigger ratchet and 17mm socket. I think i actually loosened the bolt when i was under there the first time because it took no effort at all to remove it with the 17mm socket, and there was a small puddle of oil on my driveway. thank god the oil didnt drain out while i was driving lol. i'm glad i know how to do oil changes myself now thanks for all your help guys!!

one more question tho... the 2 metal loop things under the front of the car is where you put the jack stands right? that's where i put it but it didnt seem too stable.
Old 07-25-2006
My SL65 rim, because a rim is all I can afford

Jrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to all
I think those are the towing points you are talking about, and no that wouldn't be very stable. Personal I would just buy a set of ramps, I think I picked mine up from Autozone for $15, and it makes life much easier, no more jacking cars up.
Old 07-25-2006

Good god damn!

I’m glad you invested in a good wrench!

Good man!
Old 05-20-2007
Registered!!

stock is on a distinguished road
Re: oil pan drain bolt won't budge!!

How do you get the filter off? Will those universal filter band wrenches work or do you need those cap type ones that fit on the end of a socket wrench? Can you remove it by hand? Is there enough room up there without getting burned?

Last edited by stock; 05-20-2007 at 03:04 AM.
Old 05-20-2007
Pwning Noobs 24/7

DaMadScientist is just really niceDaMadScientist is just really niceDaMadScientist is just really niceDaMadScientist is just really niceDaMadScientist is just really nice

The best way to get an oil filter off is to use these bad boys, this is the best tool IMO, cause it clams and all you got to do is twist

When i first tried to do an oil changed i used one of these

and they suck, didn't grip for its life.

Also when you put a new oil filter one, it only needs to be hand tight, doesn't need to be real right, the oil pressure will make a seal.
Old 05-20-2007
This is Myspace

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to behold

oil filters are only supposed to be hand tightened so with a little muscle they can be taken off. and since im the only one who changes my oil, its not liek im struggling cuz the guy before me was all vin desiel like (or however u spell his name). alot of people do you those clampy things that ^ guy said. I gues if its too hard, go invest in one. but siince ur gona be doing it from now on..why bother? remmeber HAND TIGHTENED.
Old 05-20-2007
Registered!!

stock is on a distinguished road

Do you have to tighten to specs (3/4 turn to 1 full turn when it makes contact) or as long as it's tight even at 1/2 a turn?
Old 05-20-2007
Registered!!

PaCiFiKbAllA has a reputation beyond reputePaCiFiKbAllA has a reputation beyond reputePaCiFiKbAllA has a reputation beyond reputePaCiFiKbAllA has a reputation beyond reputePaCiFiKbAllA has a reputation beyond reputePaCiFiKbAllA has a reputation beyond reputePaCiFiKbAllA has a reputation beyond reputePaCiFiKbAllA has a reputation beyond reputePaCiFiKbAllA has a reputation beyond reputePaCiFiKbAllA has a reputation beyond reputePaCiFiKbAllA has a reputation beyond repute

i hand tighten till my hand can't tighten anymore thats how i know its tight enough, tight huh?

Hahaha...=)
Old 05-20-2007
Registered!!

XxSoVeReiGNxX is just really niceXxSoVeReiGNxX is just really niceXxSoVeReiGNxX is just really niceXxSoVeReiGNxX is just really niceXxSoVeReiGNxX is just really nice

try not to jack up at the "LOOP THINGS" just behind the front bumper. those are tow points for tow trucks to winch (pull) your car onto their bed.

the proper place to put JACK STANDS (DO NOT USE MULTIPLE LIFTING JACKS) is on the reinforced rail behind the front wheels and rear wheel wells. see picture or linked thread

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/p...398-post7.html

ps. congrats on your first DIY oil change
Old 05-20-2007
Pwning Noobs 24/7

DaMadScientist is just really niceDaMadScientist is just really niceDaMadScientist is just really niceDaMadScientist is just really niceDaMadScientist is just really nice

there is also jackpoints in the front and back, if you look under the front bumper there is an arrow point to a jackpoint, where its reinforced steel, and on the back, you can jack it on the lil loop
Old 05-20-2007
I just burnt my tongue

ragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really nice

no ratchet get a 17 mm wrench and a rag...put the rag on the wrench and hold it with you're left hand than strike the back of your hand with your other hand and it should come loose...trust me i do it all the time and i do oil changes all the time...actually 5 days a week cuz its part of my job lol
Old 05-20-2007
This is Myspace

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to behold

^lol then i guess he knows