Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Driver door does not lock when it is open.

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SightScout is an unknown quantity at this point
Driver door does not lock when it is open.

Hi so my drivers door was replaced and the power lock works when the doors are closed(except the passenger door lock doesn't respond to it. I have to lock and unlock that one manually.) I am posting because my driver side door will not lock when the door is open. Basically I cannot lock the car unless I open the back door and lock it when the driver side door is shut. (The lock cylinder on the driver door needs to be recoded for my key since it was replaced.) What can cause the door lock not to work when the door is open? Should I just invest in a alarm system so I don't have to recode the door lock and wire the passenger door lock?
Old 09-06-2016
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GusBuz is a jewel in the roughGusBuz is a jewel in the roughGusBuz is a jewel in the rough
Re: Driver door does not lock when it is open.

It sounds like its doing what its supposed to. The driver door won't lock unless it is closed. Its made so people wont lock the keys inside the car or at least try not to. Heres a thread talking about it. https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2...when-open.html
Old 09-06-2016
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

with the driver door open, you need to hold the release on the INSIDE of the door (like you are trying to open the door) while you push the door lock down
Old 09-06-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SightScout is an unknown quantity at this point

ok thanks that answered my question.
I just posted because since the door was replaced I thought it might have been faulty.
Old 09-06-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

you need to hold the release on the INSIDE of the door
Or pull and hold the OUTSIDE release handle before locking or unlocking.