Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

car idle erratic once warmed up

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
steve6 is an unknown quantity at this point
car idle erratic once warmed up

Car: 2001 civic , 2 door, 5 speed, 200,000 kms

Just wondering if anyone has opinions on this. So story: I bought this car today, the guy said 'the engine is gone because of a blocked cat - bent rod or something'. The car acted up about a year ago, and been parked in a garage ever since. The car starts, and runs fine relatively well, I took it for a few drives up to about 50 mph with no major hesitation.

One thing I noticed after a few test drives, it was doing this erratic idle rpm.. the car was bringing the idle up to 1500 or so rpm, before dropping back to about 700. The engine fundamentally seems ok, I am going to do a compression test when I get a chance. There is a CEL that comes on immediately, it is P0135

i did the initial rev in this video, but the car did the rest on its own: Thoughts?

https://goo.gl/photos/mbb4jJJFMPLjwmzS9

here is the car for reference, the body is near mint with just a few odd stone chips.

I mainly bought this car for parts as it was dirt cheap. But if I think its decent enough will put it on the road.

One other question, the dash illumination lights didnt work, including the heater dials. I checked fuse 10.. no prob there. Thoughts?

Steve

Last edited by steve6; 11-22-2015 at 07:30 PM.
Old 11-22-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: car idle erratic once warmed up

Probably needs the front O2 sensor,

Start with a PCM reset then an idle relearn for the idle issue, see what happens after that
Maybe clean throttle body and IAC, then another reset and relearn

Dash lights......aftermarket radio installed? Ruined the illumination circuits on the gauge cluster circuit board?
Old 11-22-2015
Registered!!

well the thing didnt have a battery for months, today was basically a re-learn. There is an aftermarket radio, does it ruin something?
Old 11-22-2015
Registered!!

I just read over this, https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...t-working.html

Ill have a look into that aspect further.
Old 11-22-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Fix the code first, use a DENSO or NTK sensor whichever the car had new.
Then do the PCM reset and idle relearn. Driving won't do it.

Disconnect battery for 10 minutes
Reconnect.
Start engine and get it all warmed up to operating temp.
Turn off all electrical items and leave it in Park (or neutral) and let it idle for 10 minutes.
If the electric radiator fan runs during that time, add that much more time to the 10 minutes.

You found a thread with good pics that clearly show the damage to a cluster after hooking up a stereo. That one is repairable if you know what you are doing, there's another thread where someone did it and posted pics, it's a beautiful job.

Pull radio and cut the wires labeled 'illumination'. Most radios are not compatible with how the dash lights are controlled.
Old 11-22-2015
Registered!!

thanks, ill look it over.

I can just imagine who ever put the radio in "who needs dash lights with two 12 inch subs in the trunk'