Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2002 Honda Civic dash lights not working

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Danny830x is an unknown quantity at this point
2002 Honda Civic dash lights not working

Hey, I recently installed a head unit in my girlfriends 2002 Honda Civic. Her dad started the car earlier today, and he said he smelled a hint of smoke.

The radio still works fine, but the dash lights and heater/ac lights do not work. However, when you turn the dimmer switch, it still dims the light up display for the miles.

I checked the small lights fuse, and pulled the stereo back out to make sure there were no hanging wires, but that's as far as I've gotten. I'm not exactly sure what other fuses to check for this certain year, as I've googled and forum searched and have only found this problem in other years, and people are just giving fuse numbers to check, not the actual fuse type. What's my next move?

Thanks in advance
Old 12-28-2010
Registered!!

Re: 2002 Honda Civic dash lights not working

I just checked fuse 8 (ACC Radio) and 18 (ACC Cigar.) Both were fine.
Old 12-28-2010
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

You probably hooked up the illum/dimmer wire which either blew a fuse or caused some damage. Check the backup fuses under the hood.
Old 12-28-2010
Registered!!

Neither of the orange wires are connected

Last edited by Danny830x; 12-28-2010 at 02:33 PM. Reason: or were at any time
Old 12-28-2010
Registered!!

I checked the backup fuse also, that's fine too. So 4 total fuses i checked. 2 inside, the ACC/Radio and ACC/Cigar.. and 2 under the hood, Backup and Small Lights
Old 12-28-2010
Registered!!

The battery may or may not be dying fast as well. I've been sitting in the car for a half hour or so and now it won't start up. I'm not too familiar with the car, but that definitely seems out of the ordinary
Old 12-28-2010
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

The smell was most likely the dimmer circuit going south from your connections made.

The dimmer circuit would be protected by the small lights fuse, if it is o.k. you may have damage done already.
Old 12-29-2010
Registered!!

Ok, I'm going to take the whole gauge cluster out and see if i can solder a jumper on the back if it is a simple blown connection.

Just to be clear, in case i do fix it... the 2 orange wires coming FROM the metra wiring harness are the only wires i should not connect correct? (They weren't connected, but weren't exactly secured properly either.) Or is there a dimmer or illumination wire coming from the head unit that I should disconnect also?
Old 12-29-2010

CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

IIRC orange and also orange/white, not sure. Check the chart provided with the harness, look for "dimmer" or "illumination"

The factory colors to avoid are RED & RED/BLK.

Isolate the ends of the Metra harness unused wires.
Old 12-29-2010
Registered!!

Ok I isolated the orange and orange & white from the metra harness already.

As far as I remember those were the only 2 from the metra harness that I did NOT connect. Which means that the red and the red & black are most likely connected to their matching color on the harness. Should I just disconnect and isolate those completely? If so, this is obviously the cause of my problem.

Thanks for the answers. Appreciate the help.
Old 12-29-2010

You can look straight inline across the plugs and see if they go to red & red/blk on the factory side.

If they were not connected... then maybe they were not isolated and shorted to something ?? They should be fine as long as isolated at the cut end of wires
Old 12-29-2010
Registered!!

Ok I took out the gauge cluster and took some pictures. This doesn't look repairable to me, but hopefully I am wrong.

Name:  honda1.jpg
Views: 14278
Size:  103.1 KB
Name:  honda2.jpg
Views: 9866
Size:  51.3 KB
Name:  honda3.jpg
Views: 9648
Size:  74.6 KB
Name:  honda4.jpg
Views: 9693
Size:  55.4 KB
Name:  honda5.jpg
Views: 9889
Size:  35.7 KB
Name:  honda6.jpg
Views: 9482
Size:  55.8 KB
Old 12-29-2010
Registered!!

This is fixed. The copper in the top (pictured) burnt part wasnt actually broken. The middle circular was.. so i soldered a wire from two points on that route and reconnected them. It worked.

Still have no idea what the small circed thing is lol

Thanks for the help
Old 12-30-2010

Great job on the PCB fix, that trace looks rather large and easy to work with. Been adding jumpers to repair damaged traces for years now (used to get them a lot on TVs with lightning damage)
Old 01-04-2011
Registered!!

lbergenthal is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Danny830x
This is fixed. The copper in the top (pictured) burnt part wasnt actually broken. The middle circular was.. so i soldered a wire from two points on that route and reconnected them. It worked.

Still have no idea what the small circed thing is lol

Thanks for the help

Hey, after having the same problem I took apart the cluster and now am ready to solder... since im not all to smart when it comes to soldering on to pcb boards, what 2 points exactly did you solder the wire to? sorry im retarded when it comes to this stuff
Old 01-05-2011

^Are your traces damaged and lifted like the pix ?? Use a magnifier and look close for breaks in the copper trace or use an ohm meter.
Old 01-05-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

this is why i always completely remove the dimmer/illum wires from both sides of the harness connectors before i install anything. this time was easier cause the sony deck i got did not even have these wires. i just took the wires out of the oem-to-aftermarket harness and plugged it together. no reason at all to be hooking them up even if the deck supports auto-dim. most of these decks are usually so dim anyway that you want it full bright at night.
Old 01-05-2011
Registered!!

lbergenthal is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by CraigW
^Are your traces damaged and lifted like the pix ?? Use a magnifier and look close for breaks in the copper trace or use an ohm meter.
Yes, they are damaged in the exact same places as in the picture. Do I just pick the two soldered points on either side along that broken trace and solder a new replacement conductor such as a wire?
Old 01-05-2011

I would try to locate the break(s) and make small patches to them. You can scrape the trace to apply solder directly, just use caution not to cause more damage with the iron,
Old 11-11-2015
Registered!!

Lssut is an unknown quantity at this point

My cluster has the exact same burn pattern. When I use the blinker, both lights on the cluster light up light I have the emergency flasher on (only one exterior blinker flashes though) did you have that problem ? I'm thinking mine melted a little more possibly ? Did you determine what caused the problem ? want to make sure I don't fix it and some short just melts it again ? Lastly did you jump from the start of the burn to the end or just where you could tell it was a broken connection ? Thanks !
Old 11-11-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Did you determine what caused the problem ?
Your radio install caused it.

Remove radio and disconnect or cut and tape all 'illumination' wires from the jumper connector.

There's another thread in this forum where someone shows the repair job they did on the cluster circuit board, search for it.