Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Blown head gasket costs

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mv7fd is an unknown quantity at this point
Blown head gasket costs

So I have a confirmed blown head gasket and I'm debating doing it my self or having it done what would it typically cost to have a head gasket, water pump and timing belt replaced at a shop
Old 02-21-2016
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,148 Likes on 802 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Blown head gasket costs

shop cost: $1250-1500, depending on who you talk to. Out of frustration after a self-inflicted mishap, I caved in and allowed a shop to (basically) redo my HG job (along with all of my valves). My dad told him to hook me up with a good price (since it was one of his friends' shops), but he didn't and charged me $1450 for everything.

DIY cost: you can do it for about $500
Cost breakdown (all prices from hondaautomotiveparts.com, rounded up, not including shipping)
HG kit: $172
Valve cover gasket kit: $31
water pump: $66
Timing Belt: $21
TB tensioner: $70
Machine shop cost to deck the head: Probably ~$100-150
estimated shipping & handling from hondaautomotiveparts.com: $21
Total cost: $481-531 (dependent on shop cost)

edited to reflect costs and shipping

Last edited by xRiCeBoYx; 02-23-2016 at 12:37 AM.
Old 02-22-2016
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Just the head gasket and timing belt stuff I would estimate around $600-$800 but it really depends on the area and shop. Call around and see what they say.

When my timing belt broke and bent my valves total for a shop to do it was just under $1500.
Old 02-23-2016
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
emich is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mv7fd
So I have a confirmed blown head gasket and I'm debating doing it my self or having it done what would it typically cost to have a head gasket, water pump and timing belt replaced at a shop
Start with this
http://www.autozone.com/antifreeze-r...artNumber=true

You can get away with $45 fix. Take off the spark plug and disconnect the fuel injector of the cylinder you have a problem with.
Old 02-23-2016
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by emich
Start with this

You can get away with $45 fix. Take off the spark plug and disconnect the fuel injector of the cylinder you have a problem with.
Do not start or use that garbage unless you want a potential clogged radiator and/or heater core to repair or replace along with the head gasket and TB kit.

Last edited by Wankenstein; 02-23-2016 at 05:57 PM.
Old 02-23-2016
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by turd_ferguson
Do not start or use that garbage unless you want a potential clogged radiator and/or heater core to repair or replace along with the head gasket and TB kit.
Old 02-24-2016
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
emich is an unknown quantity at this point

It will not clog radiator and/or heater core guarantee.

Don't listento this garbage.

Old 02-24-2016

Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by emich
It will not clog radiator and/or heater core guarantee.
Don't listento this garbage.
You are going to defend using an HG sealant when there's horror stories all over the internet about the consequences of doing so? You might have tried it and got lucky (for now as a temporary band-aid) but, it most likely won't last long and certainly all HG sealants have the potential of clogging radiators and heater cores. Just ask member: Wild Cranker: https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2...nda-civic.html
Old 02-24-2016
Administrator
Administrator

Do the job correctly the first time. Shortcuts inevitably lead to more costs down the road
Old 02-24-2016
Registered!!

The only way I would ever in my life think of putting something like that in there is if I was trying to hide it to sell as soon as I did it
Old 02-25-2016

The only way I would ever in my life think of putting something like that in there is if I was trying to hide it to sell as soon as I did it
That's what's called a DICK move. So, it would be okay for someone else to buy your problems?
Old 02-25-2016
Registered!!

That's why I said IF I was. I'm not that kind of person
Old 02-25-2016

That's why I said IF I was. I'm not that kind of person
To be correct you didn't say it in context of "IF" you're that type of person.
You stated "IF" you were trying to hide it and sell it: "The only way I would ever in my life think of putting something like that in there is if I was trying to hide it to sell as soon as I did it".

Fortunately, we are talking about a scenario that has not happened yet and if it ever did hopefully, you would do the right thing and not be tempted to sell a car that's not reliable. There are plenty of A-holes that do this on a daily basis but, they operate without a concscience.
Old 02-25-2016
Registered!!

I could never bring my self to do that.
Old 02-27-2016
Registered!!

stopher is an unknown quantity at this point

To be correct you didn't say it in context of "IF" you're that type of person.
You stated "IF" you were trying to hide it and sell it: "The only way I would ever in my life think of putting something like that in there is if I was trying to hide it to sell as soon as I did it".

Fortunately, we are talking about a scenario that has not happened yet and if it ever did hopefully, you would do the right thing and not be tempted to sell a car that's not reliable. There are plenty of A-holes that do this on a daily basis but, they operate without a concscience.
Dude, you're trippin. Why do you have to be so technical and uptight? It was just another way of saying "hell no I would never use that ****."

Anyway OP, I'm selling a genuine head gasket kit for a Civic EX if you're interested.
Old 02-28-2016

Originally Posted by stopher
Dude, you're trippin. Why do you have to be so technical and uptight? It was just another way of saying "hell no I would never use that ****."

Anyway OP, I'm selling a genuine head gasket kit for a Civic EX if you're interested.
Looks like I have to clarify to you as well so, let's review shall we:

emich: Start with this
WRONG!

Mv7fd: The only way I would ever in my life think of putting something like that in there is if I was trying to hide it to sell as soon as I did it.
WRONG!

The OP did clarify after I questioned him:
Mv7fd: I could never bring my self to do that.
CORRECT

So, in your eyes I am uptight and technical because I am pointing out two errors in judgement? Not a rhetorical question.