Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Rear window not working - no power

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2016
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
over45 is an unknown quantity at this point
Rear window not working - no power

2003 civic lx, rear passenger window not working. no power - nothing happens when both the master drivers switch is used, and also the rear passenger switch is used. replaced fuse but that did not help.

Would this likely be the drivers master switch that needs to get replaced? ... or something else ?

Tks
The following users liked this post:
Abrah4m (08-23-2022)
Old 03-19-2016
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Rear window not working - no power

remove the rubber boot where the wires go from the car frame to the rear door, you will probably find broken wires in that boot, same thing happened to me, i had to splice them back together, every time you open and close the door the wires flex, over time they break
The following users liked this post:
Abrah4m (08-23-2022)
Old 03-19-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by mikey1
remove the rubber boot where the wires go from the car frame to the rear door, you will probably find broken wires in that boot, same thing happened to me, i had to splice them back together, every time you open and close the door the wires flex, over time they break
Tks for the suggestion. I checked that and everything looked fine. Would be surprised if the rear doors had been opened more than 25 times in it's life.

I did read all the threads i could find on this issue and also checked the child locks and the fuse designated for that door (#25). Would there be any other fuses to check if just this one window is not working? The switches themselves "feel" normal - no play in them or suggestion that they are loose or broken inside. They feel normal to me.
Old 03-19-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Turn key on.
Hold the rear window switch on in the drivers panel and slowly swing your drivers door fully open and fully closed.
If the window tries to move at all there's broken wires in the jamb of the moving door.

------------------------------------------------------
Swap the two rear window switches, see if one is just bad.

---------------------------------------------------------
Got a test light or voltmeter?
Old 03-20-2016
Registered!!

tried your suggestion. nothing. i was hoping to not have to take off the rear door panel but guess i will have to... i don't have a test light but do have a voltmeter. tks
Old 03-20-2016

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I would not pull the door panel yet.

I would test the window motor from the rear switch connector.

I'd also test the rest of the circuits in the switch connector, as this will determine what my next step will be.
Old 03-20-2016
Registered!!

how do you access the switch connector without taking the door panel off?
Old 03-20-2016

Originally Posted by ezone
------------------------------------------------------
Swap the two rear window switches, see if one is just bad.
Originally Posted by over45
tried your suggestion. nothing.
Originally Posted by over45
how do you access the switch connector without taking the door panel off?
Oh, I figured you already swapped rear window switches.
Remove the 'grip' handle cover to access the switch wiring. You would have to remove this to access screws in order to remove the door panel anyway.

This pic has the cover already removed

It may be tricky with little room to get the wiring undone or take out the switch but I know I have done this many times.

Same for testing the window switch wiring on the master switch in the drivers door, pull the grip cover off the side for access to wiring and to replace the master switch.....which might also be a good spot to test IMO.
Master switch has a bulletin on it but wiring issues seem just as common now that the cars have aged.