Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Brake Pedal Squeak

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kennykenny is an unknown quantity at this point
Brake Pedal Squeak

I have a 2005 Civic LX 4 door. The car has a squeak coming from the break pedal area(I believe). When the pedal is pushed down and let go, while stationary, there is a squeak. The squeak does not occur when the car is moving at a decent amount of speed and the pedal is pushed in to slow the car down. If the car is moving at a slow speed, such as slowing down gradually and coming to a stop, such as at stop light, there is a squeak.

I have lubricated the top of the pedal bracket but no change thus figuring that it is not coming from that area.

Ideas? Thanks!
Old 12-27-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Brake Pedal Squeak

Stick your head out the window and see if it is coming from the rear brakes.

Have someone on the outside of the car listen too.
Old 12-28-2015
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

See if working the hand brake on/off will produce it.

If so it is where the bottom [ portion of the shoes contact the backing plate.

Lube in that area of the backing plate to resolve.
Old 12-28-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by CraigW
See if working the hand brake on/off will produce it.

If so it is where the bottom [ portion of the shoes contact the backing plate.

Lube in that area of the backing plate to resolve.
There is a bit of a squeak when putting the hand brake down, not as drastic as when pushing down the foot pedal though.

When you say the shoes contacting the backing plate, assuming that means the backing plate is the back side of the rotor that the pads are grabbing a hold of on the front brakes?
Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 12-28-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Kennykenny
There is a bit of a squeak when putting the hand brake down, not as drastic as when pushing down the foot pedal though.

When you say the shoes contacting the backing plate, assuming that means the backing plate is the back side of the rotor that the pads are grabbing a hold of on the front brakes?
Thanks for the suggestion.
I guess that I wasn't reading clearly when reading your response, you said shoes which meant the rear drum brakes right? So take the drum off and clean and lube that area?
Old 12-28-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kennykenny
So take the drum off and clean and lube that area?
Each brake shoe has 3 flat areas where it contacts the steel backing plate. The backing plate has a corresponding number of flat areas where each shoe makes contact.
3 per shoe
6 per side
12 total

I use moly grease for these

Google image search, there's a ton of stuff like this:

Old 12-29-2015

CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

When I did my 05 it was a simple fix, no disassembly required. (think it is the lower ones)

And yes, it squeaks on brake pedal release, or hand brake release.
Old 12-29-2015
Registered!!

When I did my 05 it was a simple fix, no disassembly required. (think it is the lower ones)

And yes, it squeaks on brake pedal release, or hand brake release.
Thanks for this. Can you or someone provide information on how to put moly grease on the contact points without removing the shoes? A video would be great if this is possible to provide. I assume that this is not hard to do but seeing it done first would be very beneficial.

Thanks again.
Old 12-30-2015

Yes, A good flashlight and something to dab the lube to the backing plate.

A chopstick or dowel, stiff wire. It only takes a small amount once you locate thee area it goes.
Old 01-01-2016
Registered!!

Yes, A good flashlight and something to dab the lube to the backing plate.

A chopstick or dowel, stiff wire. It only takes a small amount once you locate thee area it goes.
Without having the knowledge or experience of working with brakes before, do the shoes have play that you can move them away(with a screwdriver or something) from the backing plate to give room to dab the grease on? Thanks!
Old 01-02-2016

I would not try to move them out, and would not work them much without drums in place.

Believe the culprit to be the lower [ that makes the noise, and it is easily seen and iirc, you can see the area of the backing plate where they ride. try to get lube onto each side of them L & R then put the drums back on and work the hand brake several times to distribute lube.
Old 01-02-2016
Registered!!

I would not try to move them out, and would not work them much without drums in place.

Believe the culprit to be the lower [ that makes the noise, and it is easily seen and iirc, you can see the area of the backing plate where they ride. try to get lube onto each side of them L & R then put the drums back on and work the hand brake several times to distribute lube.
Thanks for the responses. Will give it a shot and let you know.
Old 01-02-2016
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

my guess is its the return springs in the rear drums those always make noises on hondas. clean and lube them.
Old 01-02-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by lowlife9
my guess is its the return springs in the rear drums those always make noises on hondas. clean and lube them.
Thanks. Do you lube the springs with the same moly grease that has been mentioned earlier to lube the contact points. Is it a good idea to spray down all of the components with brake cleaner once I take off the drum prior to taking lubing the contact points?
Old 01-03-2016
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Did you grease the return spring?
Shown in generic internet pic (not circled in white):