Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Clutch won't disengage

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ahboy94 is an unknown quantity at this point
Clutch won't disengage

I'm having trouble looking for the issue. Car won't go into gear and the clutch stays engaged. I tried bleeding the clutch and now the clutch pedal is free to play with. It won't pump. No leaks I can see on my master or slave cylinder. I'm about to buy a new clutch and see if that fixes it. Any advice guys?
Old 11-10-2015
Registered!!

bsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nice
Re: Clutch won't disengage

Might read a little on this thread: https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...need-help.html

I tried bleeding the clutch and had to buy a vacuum bleeder to get the air out and the pedal back....
Old 11-10-2015
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Ahboy94
I'm having trouble looking for the issue. Car won't go into gear and the clutch stays engaged. I tried bleeding the clutch and now the clutch pedal is free to play with. It won't pump. No leaks I can see on my master or slave cylinder. I'm about to buy a new clutch and see if that fixes it. Any advice guys?
Did you ask about this on the Bay Area Honda FB page?
Old 11-11-2015
Registered!!

I didn't check with Honda page. Uh, people say it could be cylinders so I'm going to buy a slave today and see what's up. But maybe it could be that I need to vacuum it. But when I bled it, it shot out fluid, then bubbles. When I pump the clutch, it just oozes out instead of shooting out. No pressure builds up after I bled it the first time
Old 11-11-2015
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to all

If there are no leaks, and it was bled properly, and you still have the issues, then it is a bad cylinder seal.
Old 11-13-2015
Registered!!

Alright, I took the slave off and the rod that the slave pushes is loose. Is that normal, or it can it be the release bearing that broke?
Old 11-13-2015
Registered!!

Wow. I now believe it's the master cylinder. It pumps but there is no pressure at all. I bled it and it just leaks out
Old 11-15-2015
Registered!!

Replaced everything and still nothing. Maybe a clogged line or air trapped in line. Idk
Old 11-15-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

From another thread here:
Originally Posted by ezone

Got 2 ideas here.....

One idea is to stick your bottle of brake fluid upside down in the top of the reservoir, that way it will keep the little sucker full for a long while as you bleed. (assuming it will fit)

Another idea to purge trapped air bubbles is to open the bleeder screw then hold your finger on it firmly so it acts like a check valve (lets fluid out but won't let air in),

Then have the helper pump the pedal several times in a row until the air is out, then you can close bleeder screw and do a couple more pumps and bleeds the normal way just to make sure it's all done.. Hopefully you would have decent pedal again by now.

Then you should be able to watch the slave pushrod and throwout arm move when the pedal is pumped.
Old 11-15-2015
EM2ti

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
maxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of light

Did you say you replaced the master too? Or just the slave? If you replaced the master, you'll need to "prime" it first. Remove the hydraulic line from the MC, then slowly pour fluid into the reservoir, until fluid comes out of the master cylinder. Reattach the hard line to the master. This gets rid of a massive air bubble. That's half the battle.
Old 11-15-2015
Registered!!

bsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nice

Originally Posted by Ahboy94
Replaced everything and still nothing. Maybe a clogged line or air trapped in line. Idk
Max has the right idea, but I am lazy. Knowing how easy it was with a vacuum bleeder, I would just do that again.

I had a similar experience last summer. I replaced both the slave & master and couldn't get pressure to the pedal with 2 person traditional bleeding. I've used that method many times on Hondas since 1988.

Early in this thread I provided you link to how I resolved it. I bought a $30 vacuum bleeder from Harbor Freight and it was solved in 30 seconds.