Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/36-mechanical-problems-vehicle-issues-fix-forum)
-   -   Clutch won't disengage (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/36-mechanical-problems-vehicle-issues-fix-forum/365789-clutch-wont-disengage.html)

Ahboy94 11-10-2015 06:16 PM

Clutch won't disengage

I'm having trouble looking for the issue. Car won't go into gear and the clutch stays engaged. I tried bleeding the clutch and now the clutch pedal is free to play with. It won't pump. No leaks I can see on my master or slave cylinder. I'm about to buy a new clutch and see if that fixes it. Any advice guys?

bsmiley 11-10-2015 06:56 PM

Re: Clutch won't disengage

Might read a little on this thread: https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...need-help.html

I tried bleeding the clutch and had to buy a vacuum bleeder to get the air out and the pedal back....

Mad Dog Tannen 11-10-2015 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by Ahboy94 (Post 4697159)
I'm having trouble looking for the issue. Car won't go into gear and the clutch stays engaged. I tried bleeding the clutch and now the clutch pedal is free to play with. It won't pump. No leaks I can see on my master or slave cylinder. I'm about to buy a new clutch and see if that fixes it. Any advice guys?

Did you ask about this on the Bay Area Honda FB page?

Ahboy94 11-11-2015 04:26 PM

I didn't check with Honda page. Uh, people say it could be cylinders so I'm going to buy a slave today and see what's up. But maybe it could be that I need to vacuum it. But when I bled it, it shot out fluid, then bubbles. When I pump the clutch, it just oozes out instead of shooting out. No pressure builds up after I bled it the first time

Mad Dog Tannen 11-11-2015 09:48 PM

If there are no leaks, and it was bled properly, and you still have the issues, then it is a bad cylinder seal.

Ahboy94 11-13-2015 01:51 PM

Alright, I took the slave off and the rod that the slave pushes is loose. Is that normal, or it can it be the release bearing that broke?

Ahboy94 11-13-2015 02:53 PM

Wow. I now believe it's the master cylinder. It pumps but there is no pressure at all. I bled it and it just leaks out

Ahboy94 11-15-2015 03:55 PM

Replaced everything and still nothing. Maybe a clogged line or air trapped in line. Idk

ezone 11-15-2015 05:13 PM

From another thread here:

Originally Posted by ezone (Post 4697221)

Got 2 ideas here.....

One idea is to stick your bottle of brake fluid upside down in the top of the reservoir, that way it will keep the little sucker full for a long while as you bleed. (assuming it will fit)

Another idea to purge trapped air bubbles is to open the bleeder screw then hold your finger on it firmly so it acts like a check valve (lets fluid out but won't let air in),

Then have the helper pump the pedal several times in a row until the air is out, then you can close bleeder screw and do a couple more pumps and bleeds the normal way just to make sure it's all done.. Hopefully you would have decent pedal again by now.

Then you should be able to watch the slave pushrod and throwout arm move when the pedal is pumped.

maxtierney 11-15-2015 07:16 PM

Did you say you replaced the master too? Or just the slave? If you replaced the master, you'll need to "prime" it first. Remove the hydraulic line from the MC, then slowly pour fluid into the reservoir, until fluid comes out of the master cylinder. Reattach the hard line to the master. This gets rid of a massive air bubble. That's half the battle.

bsmiley 11-15-2015 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Ahboy94 (Post 4697460)
Replaced everything and still nothing. Maybe a clogged line or air trapped in line. Idk

Max has the right idea, but I am lazy. Knowing how easy it was with a vacuum bleeder, I would just do that again.

I had a similar experience last summer. I replaced both the slave & master and couldn't get pressure to the pedal with 2 person traditional bleeding. I've used that method many times on Hondas since 1988.

Early in this thread I provided you link to how I resolved it. I bought a $30 vacuum bleeder from Harbor Freight and it was solved in 30 seconds.