Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

03 civic si - CEL code p1259 revs limited at 4k

Old 01-24-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Damname can only hope to improve
03 civic si - CEL code p1259 revs limited at 4k

Hey all

I was wondering if i can get some info/help with an issue. I was driving home tonight in my civic that i had bough 2 months prior. The CEL light kicks on on my way home while on cruise control. I pulled to a red light and when taking off, the car is rev limiting at 4000 rpm. I had also noticed that lately when giving it throttle it seems like it pukes and then takes off. Puking lasts all of 3/4 a second.

The car idles smoothly and it feels like the car isnt even on!

I pulled in the driveway and hooked up a pocket obd2 scanner and i get 1 code, p1259. I loosely checked Google for the issue and then went and checked the oil. It is full. I had to put half a quart in about 2 weeks ago. Something about VETEC

Anyone else have this issue? Insight or anything to add?

Thanks

Old 01-25-2014
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: 03 civic si - CEL code p1259 revs limited at 4k

1 - change your oil and filter, disconnect battery for half hour,

problem still there?

2 - remove vtech solenoid and clean it, reinstall it, disconnect battery for half hour

problem still there?

3 - replace vtech solenoid, disconnect battery for half hour
Old 01-25-2014
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

what involves VTEC:
1) Oil pressure, so low oil is usually most frequent
2) Electrical - solenoid activation
3) Mechanical - clogged passages or solenoid stuck
4) someone disassembled and dropped one of the pins on rocker arms.
Old 01-25-2014
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
what involves VTEC:
1) Oil pressure, so low oil is usually most frequent
2) Electrical - solenoid activation
3) Mechanical - clogged passages or solenoid stuck
4) someone disassembled and dropped one of the pins on rocker arms.
the oil pressure caused by oil needing changed or faulty pump?
can number 4 be ruled out by listening to the engine run? it makes no noises at all. im picturing in my head clanking or something because of the pin?

how to test electrical if oil change doesnt work?

thanks
Old 01-25-2014
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Did you take rocker arms off and disassemble? If not, no point in asking about pin... as mentioned...
Old 01-25-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Rodent chewed wires?
Old 01-25-2014
Registered!!

Did you take rocker arms off and disassemble? If not, no point in asking about pin... as mentioned...
no i didnt....i simply figured that a pin bouncing around in the top of the engine would be audible and obvious... but im no mechanic...this is why i asked
Old 01-25-2014
PITA Admin
Administrator

That could only happened if you removed the arms for, say, changing the camshaft, like me and others had done. If not the case, it should not happen (remember, like you, I am looking at a computer screen, no way for me to know, so I put it there as possibility.

Any luck on the other item WE posted? (Not only the ones I posted, I mean )
And believe us, the rodent is not a joke...
Old 01-25-2014
Registered!!

That could only happened if you removed the arms for, say, changing the camshaft, like me and others had done. If not the case, it should not happen (remember, like you, I am looking at a computer screen, no way for me to know, so I put it there as possibility.

Any luck on the other item WE posted? (Not only the ones I posted, I mean )
And believe us, the rodent is not a joke...
nothing yet. i did check the oil and it does indeed needs changed. blackish in color. i dunno about having any work done to the top of the car. i just bought it. the wires look good but i havent run any kind of tests.

i drove it today for about 40 minutes and the cel light stayed off. monday i am changing the oil and filter and cleaning/inspecting the vtec