Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

New (used engine)

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Geoff_Geoff is an unknown quantity at this point
New (used engine)

I had many of problems with my cars head gasket. Thanks to everyone who helped me with the issues. Finally, I just got the engine replaced with a 45-65000km motor. would have been the same price as a new head gasket. So, I got the car back and it runs great. Two days later, the CEL comes on. Car runs normal. So I decided to jump the odb plug and read the code myself (this is an 04 civic)
It repeated 8 slow flashes. But I do not see this code. Did I do something wrong? I jumped the 4th and 9th connectors on the port and turned the key to "on"
The engine has a 3 month warranty. I just wanted to read the code myself before I took it back to the garage who did it so I know whats going on..
suggestions?

Last edited by Geoff_Geoff; 04-24-2015 at 11:05 AM.
Old 04-24-2015
Registered!!

Reverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: New (used engine)

I would really suggest to get a code reader and get the code properly.

I have a bluetooth device that plugs into the OBD2 port and wirelessly transmits ALL the data from the on board computer. The device itself is an "ELM327" OBD2 Code Reader.

They are literally like 10 bucks on Amazon

There are also Wi-Fi versions available for a little more money. All you need is any (free or low-cost) app on your phone. I think the best app for Android is "Torque", not sure about iPhone.
Old 04-24-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Two days later, the CEL comes on.
Many parts stores here read codes for free (then try to sell you everything under the sun to fix it). Have them read your codes, get the actual fault code number(s) in the format of the letter "P" followed by 4 digits, and report back.

Or take it back to the shop and have them recheck it as it very well could be related to the work done.
Old 04-24-2015
Registered!!

taking back to the shop in the morning to get it scanned. hopefully nothing serious
Old 04-25-2015
Registered!!

okay so, the code was p0401. EGR flow insufficient.

the guy changed it with another used EGR valve. I drove it home and the light came on again.
I took off the valve he put on and noticed he left the old gasket on and had the other valves gasket over it. Then I noticed this difference..

Name:  IMAG3697.jpg
Views: 12021
Size:  132.5 KB

the original on the left and the one he replaced it with is on the right. the flow ports are different. could that be why the light came back on? I am going to clean the original one and put that one back on.
Old 04-25-2015

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Remove the EGR valve.
Start the engine.
Does it idle super high? No, it will not. (was I wrong here? LOL)

Put the original EGR valve back on, it is not the problem.

Clogged passages are the problem, and my GUESS will be they picked the wrong intake gasket and the main EGR passage is blocked off.
Old 04-25-2015
Registered!!

I just came back from a test drive after installing the clean up original EGR valve put on. after about 50kms it came back on again.
supposedly this engine has 45-60000kms on it (so the dude who sold it to me said) Thats no were near enough to have the passage ways clogged is it?

How safe is it to drive it around like that. I can't get it back to the guy till next week. Id just do the work myself but I don't want any issues with him saying Im voiding the 3 month warranty
Old 04-25-2015

45-60000kms on it (so the dude who sold it to me said) Thats no were near enough to have the passage ways clogged is it?
Most I see that have clogged EGR problems have triple that amount or more.

That's a big reason I suspect they used the wrong intake manifold gasket.

How safe is it to drive it around like that. I can't get it back to the guy till next week. Id just do the work myself but I don't want any issues with him saying Im voiding the 3 month warranty
Make sure the shop knows you still have a problem first.
No it won't hurt it.
Old 04-25-2015
Registered!!

makes sense… thanks man! Ill look into the intake gasket and report back!
Old 04-28-2015
Registered!!

didn't have a chance to look at the gasket myself yet. But I did call the mechanic back and told him what was going on. Now he's saying its my computer and That i shouldn't bother spending all that money on replacing it when the problem isn't a big deal. It seems that it would be the gasket. Why would my computer all of a sudden be bad, it was fine before the new engine went in. never had an engine light on. this guy is full of **** i think. He wouldn't listen to me when I explained to him it might be the gasket..
Old 04-28-2015

Originally Posted by Geoff_Geoff
didn't have a chance to look at the gasket myself yet.
You'd probably have to remove the intake manifold to see if it's wrong.

But I did call the mechanic back and told him what was going on. Now he's saying its my computer and That i shouldn't bother spending all that money on replacing it when the problem isn't a big deal.

It seems that it would be the gasket. Why would my computer all of a sudden be bad, it was fine before the new engine went in. never had an engine light on. this guy is full of **** i think.
So....He tells you it's a computer.....and it was not an issue before the engine replacement. Do you see more than one problem now?

Your mechanic was smart enough to chuck a used engine into the car, but now he's not smart enough to figure this out this minor problem with his parts and/or his work?

Ego won't let him admit there's a problem he needs to own and fix, make it right?
Takes too long to make it right, would 'lose money' on if he spent any more time on it?

Integrity. It's not found everywhere.

He wouldn't listen to me when I explained to him it might be the gasket..
Of course not. See my comment about ego.

If I knew more about how the job went, like what parts if any had to be changed from the old engine to the new engine, I might guess differently....or maybe not....

You already had the EGR valve off...did you try this?
Remove the EGR valve.
Start the engine.
Does it idle super high?
Old 04-28-2015
Registered!!

He is one of those guys that will talk your ear off and when you try to say something he will interrupt you and talk over you. Im not a car mechanic, but I build and fix motorcycles, so I'm not an idiot, He's definitely just covering his ***. I haven't tried starting it with the EGR off yet. I will hopefully have time to do that tomorrow.
If it idles super high what does that tell me?

They used "everything" off my engine and put it on the "new" engine. Alternator, EGR (so he says), another throttle body, there was something wrong with mine apparently. Not sure what else the used as Im not familiar with this car.
Old 04-28-2015

If it idles super high what does that tell me?
That the passage to the intake manifold is open some amount, or not totally closed off.

It should go straight to 2000 RPM and surge rapidly between 2000 and 1200.

They used "everything" off my engine and put it on the "new" engine. Alternator, EGR (so he says), another throttle body, there was something wrong with mine apparently. Not sure what else the used as Im not familiar with this car.
I was looking for intake manifold being swapped.

If the engine came as a long block (meaning block, and head, plus maybe oil pan and valve cover), then the manifolds would have been swapped from old engine to new.
Some used engines come this way, some come more complete with manifolds attached.

Depending on the gasket kit used, it could have come with a choice of 2 different intake gaskets (actually the injector plate gasket) the only difference is one choice has a hole for the EGR passage, the other does not.

He's definitely just covering his ***.
That's not what I'd call it, but the word *** might still be in there.
Old 04-29-2015
Registered!!

as far as I know he used my intake and exhaust manifolds. The motor was from Japan, they import them into the country. I guess checking out the intake manifold would be a tedious job? Id have to pull the fuel line out etc?

I just started the car with the EGR valve off. I let it run for about 10/20 seconds. The idle stayed at 1200...
Old 04-29-2015

The idle stayed at 1200...
Cold engine, not at operating temp, sounds like the normal cold idle speed.

EGR passage to the intake manifold is not open like it should be.

as far as I know he used my intake and exhaust manifolds. The motor was from Japan,
I'm not intimately familiar with JDM versions, but AFAIK the EGR passage should still be present in the head casting as it is a common emissions control item, I don't see why they wouldn't use a somewhat universal cylinder head casting for all versions.

Wrong gasket still makes the most sense to me at this point.
Old 04-29-2015
Registered!!

So next step is to check that..Ill look for a tutorial online to see what I need to remove to get to the manifold gasket. At least everything will unbolt easily since it has been off already 2 weeks ago!
Old 04-30-2015

Here's a longass thread about clogged EGR ports on a 1.7, the owner pulled his own manifold to do it and explained some about what he did...... This looked about like where he started explaining, I think there were several posts as he went along.

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/36-mechanical-problems-vehicle-issues-fix-forum/345718-2003-ex-misfire-p0300-p0301-p0303-p0304-3.html#post4582097

You need to pull the manifold with the injector plate all at once to reach the gasket.