Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Rear defroster problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2011
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
johndeerebones is a jewel in the roughjohndeerebones is a jewel in the roughjohndeerebones is a jewel in the rough
Rear defroster problem

I was wondering if any of you have rear defroster problems or if it is a known problem.

My problem is that part of my window doesn't defrost. Not a problem now, just the morning dew on the windows, but it will suck with the snow and ice this winter. The top 6 inches or so and the bottom 6 inches or so don't defrost. The middle does. I have went over the side I can see from outside and the side I can see from the inside and can't see any grid damage that would cause this. Any pecuilar thing to look for or any ideas?
Old 09-16-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of
Re: Rear defroster problem

It either works or it doesn't. Get some conductive paint at the auto parts store and paint the whole line(s).
Old 09-17-2011
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

The top area section is antenna, the bottom sounds like some damaged grids possibly.
Old 09-17-2011
Registered!!

johndeerebones is a jewel in the roughjohndeerebones is a jewel in the roughjohndeerebones is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by lazlong
It either works or it doesn't. Get some conductive paint at the auto parts store and paint the whole line(s).
I thought of doing that. I can't see any bad spots in it. I have some high content silver epoxy from frostfighter from having to reglue the contact on my Yukon's back glass. It doesn't have a brush and is a little thick though, would have to get something else.

Craig: I know that, just can't see any break in it at all, went through it with the strong eye to try to find something. They would have to use the same circuit, which means the defroster grid should still go all the way up too. I know they run on the same circuit, the radio reception is terrible when using the defroster.
Old 09-18-2011
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

How many grids are inop at the bottom ??

Have you looked for the breaks with a magnifier ??

IIRC if there is an open it creates noise in the radio, and it's a crappy excuse for an antenna to start with.

If you apply the patch liquid keep it thin and only apply it a the open spot.
Old 09-20-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by CraigW
How many grids are inop at the bottom ??

Have you looked for the breaks with a magnifier ??

IIRC if there is an open it creates noise in the radio, and it's a crappy excuse for an antenna to start with.

If you apply the patch liquid keep it thin and only apply it a the open spot.
It is like 3 or 4 at the bottom. Really payed attention to it this morning. The drivers side is inop, the passenger side works. Obviously it has a break somewhere. I haven't went at it with a magnifier. That makes sense that a break would make noise in the radio. Never though of it. My wife's yukon does that too though so hadn't put two and two together. Agreed its sucky for an antenna. I will look with a magnifier and maybe get some patch....
Old 09-20-2011
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

If you have an ohm meter you can ohm out between the traces to see where the break is.
Old 09-20-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by GolNat
If you have an ohm meter you can ohm out between the traces to see where the break is.
Wow, very astute. I completely forgot about that. +1

@ johndeerebones: Make sure the circuit is off. You can't ohm out a live circuit.
Old 09-21-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by lazlong
Wow, very astute. I completely forgot about that. +1

@ johndeerebones: Make sure the circuit is off. You can't ohm out a live circuit.
Ya, I know. I am actually pretty good with electrical after all my schooling and turning wrenches since I was old enough too. I have spent no more time on it than it took me to look it over good. I haven't even tried to ohm it though. I thought there was some film or something over the traces to be honest. Maybe not though....
Old 09-21-2011
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

There is a film but you can still measure through it. If you wrap a piece of aluminum foil around the tip of the probe and use your finger to hold it against the trace you will get a good reading. Also if you turn the ignition on and the rear defroster switch on and connect your negative to ground you should read 5 or 6 volts to the center of each element if the element is unbroken. If the element is broken then the voltage will be 10 or 12 volts and the break is between the center and the ground side. If there is no voltage then the element is broken between the center and the positive side.
Old 09-21-2011
Registered!!

Thanks for the info all! I was a mechanic for a lot of years before I am now a full time student, so tools are not a problem at all!
Old 09-23-2011
Registered!!

I had some time to probe it tonight. It was obvious. My meter leads are Blue-Points from the Snap-On man. They are extremely sharp, the aluminum foil trick wasn't needed, BUT there is some kind of protective film over them on the inside. The bottom two grids are working, did find where the antenna stops and the grid begins. The upper portion is fine. The bottom two grids work, then three don't, then the rest do. This is only the three on the driver's side, the passenger side ones work. Anyway did find with a pen light that those three grids have most like had a decal or something scraped off them and they are a little scraped up. Don't know, I am not the first owner of the car. Anyway. Found a permatex kit for grid repair, so when I get to it I will try it out and letyou know how it works. The kit is a mask kit and touch up paint type of paint brush.