Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Condensation drip without using AC?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute
Condensation drip without using AC?

Hmm... got home from work today,came inside for an hour, went out for a smoke and noticed what seems to be a water drip coming the rear end of the engine, still dripping an hour later. It's dropping right near the catalytic converter. I can't see it from up top but it's very close to the back of the engine. First thing I thought was condensation from the AC system but I haven't used the AC in days... Is it possible to get condensation drip without using the AC system? My coolant level is perfect, and it's definitely not oil. It's water. It hasn't rained here for a few days either. This just kinda caught me off guard. Took my camera to where I couldn't see and I found this, odd... Not sure what it is but it's above the passanger side near the cat:

Name:  SAM_6880.jpg
Views: 3130
Size:  77.1 KB

Name:  SAM_6882.jpg
Views: 871
Size:  77.9 KB

Important info: I was using defrost It almost seems like a hose that is designed to get rid of condensation... Any info on this would be great I'm intrigued!

I did some more research! Turns out our civics do have a drain hose .. it's part #22 here. I'm assuming that's what's showing in the picture... I guess I answered my own question lol... I should search before posting.. I know. I'm gonna leave this thread undeleted and see if it starts a discussion

http://www.hondapartscheap.com/south...t=0&quantity=0

Last edited by BlueEM2; 05-22-2011 at 06:13 AM.
Old 05-22-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,456 Likes on 1,207 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: Condensation drip without using AC?

was the next rest area too far? you should go to the potty always before driving long distances
Old 05-22-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
green01civic will become famous soon enoughgreen01civic will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by tbohar
Important info: I was using defrost It almost seems like a hose that is designed to get rid of condensation... Any info on this would be great I'm intrigued!
I was under the impression that the A/C compressor kicks on to aid defrosting by removing humidity from the air.
Old 05-22-2011
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

I have performed the A/C system/compressor release procedure to both my 7th and 8th gens soon after purchase.

I don't want or need the compressor running unless I want it to be.
Old 05-22-2011
Whachya lookin at?

BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree... anyone know why the compressor runs when the defog is on?
Old 05-22-2011
Registered!!

green01civic will become famous soon enoughgreen01civic will become famous soon enough

Do you notice the A/C light coming on when set to defrost?

I think it's smart to blow dry air onto the window to speed up defrosting, no idea why you'd want to disable it.
Old 05-22-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,456 Likes on 1,207 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

to defog faster. it takes humidity out
Old 05-22-2011
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by tbohar
I agree... anyone know why the compressor runs when the defog is on?
There is a procedure here to release it. Afterwards, the compressor will still run at floor/def & def, but you can press the A/C button and the compressor and A/C light will go off.

The reason I do not let it run is because after you use it to defrost if you stop using it there is a massive amount of moisture that boils up onto the windshield and is hard to get rid of. I use a bit of heat (when needed) and cracked windows to clear it.
Old 05-22-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

the rear defrost has a "hidden a/c" that comes on even tho the a/c light is off. i have no idea how it works or why, but you can def feel the power loss and even tho its not a full blown a/c run with the fans and all, something is happening behind the scenes.
Old 05-23-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Hmmm... this is something they should let us control..... thanks Craig for letting me know I can disable it
Old 05-23-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
the rear defrost has a "hidden a/c" that comes on even tho the a/c light is off. i have no idea how it works or why, but you can def feel the power loss and even tho its not a full blown a/c run with the fans and all, something is happening behind the scenes.
Assuming the outside air vent is open (even if the blower is not on), outside air still comes in, and if the A/C did kick on it would be slowly drying out the cabin air (which would aid in defogging the rear window).

I think that the power loss associated from the rear defrost being on is due to Alternator load (though I could be wrong, and maybe the previous hypothesis would hold true in that case).
Old 05-23-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

my guess is the compressor turns on but the cooling fans stay off (since cold air is not needed, just dry air). the rear defrost coil does take up quite a few amps, but not enough to notice from driving. the radiator fan uses more amps and that does cause a noticable power loss. these darn civics and their weak alternators lol.

on a side note, new cars are starting to come with adaptive air conditioning that controls how humid or dry the air is.