Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Help with Front Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DogstyleEX is an unknown quantity at this point
Help with Front Vibration

Hey.. ok here's my problem.. my front end feels very loose during bumps and such. If i'm going around 50-60 mph, and i slightly turn my wheel to the right.. my whole front end shakes like i have an imbalnced wheel. This just started happening a little while ago.. Also another thing is that if i grab ahold of my front drivers side wheel and shake it.. i can move it a little and i hear a metal clanging sound kinda like it's hitting the metal plate behind the disc brake. My passenger side doensn't move an inch. does anyone have a clue or should i just take it in.. thanks

Andy
Old 04-05-2002
Registered!!

rallyred2k1civic is an unknown quantity at this point
The only thing I can think of is that your whole wheel is loose. I'd check that and if that's not the case, then I would definately take it in because that doesn't sound good. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.
Old 04-05-2002
Registered!!

Ok.. so i explain it to one of the mechanics up here that is usually pretty good about not BSing everything and he said it sounds like a busted tie rod.. or he said if it was a rotational grinding, which i don't think it is.. it might be a bearing.. i'm thinking tie rod.. how easy is that to fix and is there a way that i can do it myself??
Old 04-05-2002
Registered!!

Ronin is an unknown quantity at this point
I think I have that front suspension vibration too. It's exactly like you described it. Going over bumps makes it shake. I thought it was normal due to the crappy front Macphersons we have. But on the highway, it's super smooth.

Now that you brought it up, I gonna get mine checked out too. Let me know what you find out.

Old 04-06-2002
Registered!!

2Hondaz is an unknown quantity at this point
the tir rod end is a pretty simple installation. just one bolt and it screws off. it takes a little muscle to break it sometimes though. you might need a ball joint seperator on the new civics im not too shure if you do need a seperator or just a big hammer.
Old 04-06-2002
Registered!!

I can't take it in until the Monday and i need to use my car for all sorts of stuff.. the vibration is getting worse and it's mesing up my alignment as well as my mileage.. i hope it's not doing any more damage.. Is there anything i can get to make it stronger or anything? I think it's from all the damn pot holes..