Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

high pitch sound

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
orion_squall is just really niceorion_squall is just really niceorion_squall is just really niceorion_squall is just really niceorion_squall is just really nice
high pitch sound

Hi,

I need some diagnostic.

My 2002 Civic at 70k Km produces high pitch sound, somewhere in the rear, when I apply the break.

It happens in slow speed (while parking). It happens all the time, even when the car has been driven for hours and heated up.

What can it be? where should I check for problem?

thanks!
Old 12-15-2005
My SL65 rim, because a rim is all I can afford
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Jrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to all
huummm..... sounds like the rear brakes need new shoes. I would say 70k on the stock brake is pretty good, if you haven't changed them yet. I also had a problem with this once on an older civic of mine, it ended up just being a massive amount of brake dust built up in the drum.
Old 12-15-2005
Registered!!

orion_squall is just really niceorion_squall is just really niceorion_squall is just really niceorion_squall is just really niceorion_squall is just really nice
detail

Originally Posted by Jrfish007
huummm..... sounds like the rear brakes need new shoes. I would say 70k on the stock brake is pretty good, if you haven't changed them yet. I also had a problem with this once on an older civic of mine, it ended up just being a massive amount of brake dust built up in the drum.

Hi,

To give more detail, the high pitch sound ONLY happen when I RELEASE the break petal after a firm step-on. It actually happens at any speed.

So what diagnostic would you guys come up?

thanks!
Old 12-15-2005
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
If you could get the drums off you could inspect the shoes. (should be o.k. still) You could also clean them with brake cleaner, may solve problem. You should avoid creating dust. Also make sure the noise is from rear.
Old 12-15-2005
Registered!!

Ricky is an unknown quantity at this point
clean your rear brakes yah buy a brakes cleaner but you have to take the drums out if it works then there you if not then have your drums resurface and get new pads..@ 60k my pads was still good

Last edited by Ricky; 12-15-2005 at 08:38 PM.
Old 12-15-2005
Registered!!

Someone mentioned about the spring that linked to the shoes.

What I don't understand is that why the sound comes only when I RELEASE the petal.
Old 12-15-2005
Crayons taste like purple...

shroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to behold
are you positive its coming from the back and not the pedal itself....might be squeaky....there was a problem with the sensor attached to the pedal that if you turned it like a quarter turn itd stop clicking i think.....
Old 12-16-2005
My SL65 rim, because a rim is all I can afford

Jrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by orion_squall
Someone mentioned about the spring that linked to the shoes.

What I don't understand is that why the sound comes only when I RELEASE the petal.
There is a small wire in the brakes that serves as an indicator, I'm not sure if you know what I'm talking about, so I'll explain a little. This indicator is a little wire that comes out with about 1mm of pad left and lightly scratches the surface creating this horrible sound. It won't make the sound when you press on the brakes because it is pressed to hard agianst the drum surface, but when you let off the brakes it will have just the right distance to make this sound. Then as you drive more the sound usually goes away. This is the first indicator that your brakes are going.

Generally rear shoes don't go out that early, but perhaps if you do mostly city driving they would be used faster. Or if you have a sticking e-brake line. In any case you will have to check the rear brakes out, probably clean them off with some brake cleaner. While you have it apart, you should just change the brake shoes, they aren't that expensive. You could resurface the drum, but if the surface is not correct, you will hear some sort of cyclic noise. It is generally pretty cheap to get them resurface, I think I paid $10 per drum last time I had it done, but if are not rearing the cyclic sound, I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 12-16-2005
Registered!!

good

Originally Posted by Jrfish007
There is a small wire in the brakes that serves as an indicator, I'm not sure if you know what I'm talking about, so I'll explain a little. This indicator is a little wire that comes out with about 1mm of pad left and lightly scratches the surface creating this horrible sound. It won't make the sound when you press on the brakes because it is pressed to hard agianst the drum surface, but when you let off the brakes it will have just the right distance to make this sound. Then as you drive more the sound usually goes away. This is the first indicator that your brakes are going.

Generally rear shoes don't go out that early, but perhaps if you do mostly city driving they would be used faster. Or if you have a sticking e-brake line. In any case you will have to check the rear brakes out, probably clean them off with some brake cleaner. While you have it apart, you should just change the brake shoes, they aren't that expensive. You could resurface the drum, but if the surface is not correct, you will hear some sort of cyclic noise. It is generally pretty cheap to get them resurface, I think I paid $10 per drum last time I had it done, but if are not rearing the cyclic sound, I wouldn't worry about it.
The explaination sounds very plausible.

thanks!
Old 12-18-2005
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
yup brake wear indicator