Suspension Post your issues with Suspension here! Suspension will cover from Steering Column (Steer Wheel is in interior), Suspension, Bearing and Hubs

Rear Upper Control Arm

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sailorman3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Rear Upper Control Arm

I have a bent rear upper control arm that is giving my wheel a whole lot of camber. I ordered one from the dealer today. I also have a leaking shock that I am also replacing on the same corner. When they are replaced does the car have to have a rear alignment?The control arm does not a place to adjust it.
Old 05-31-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Rear Upper Control Arm

When they are replaced does the car have to have a rear alignment?
I assume you are purchasing the SET of updated rear upper control arms to improve the rear camber and subsequent tire chop/noise issues that are so common on those 06-09 cars?

Yes, it needs aligned.
Correcting the camber issue will cause a large change in rear toe.
Old 05-31-2016
Registered!!

No I was only going to change the left one because it is bent. (a truck backed into it with it's trailer hitch and now the wheel has a big camber in at the top). My car is a 2012 and I didn't have any wearing problems with the tires.
Old 05-31-2016

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Ah....It helps immensely to mention your vehicle info and situation in the first post.

In that case be prepared for other damage such as a bent knuckle or bad hub/bearing in addition to the more obvious bent control arm.

The alignment final readings should determine if there is knuckle or other damage not readily visible to the naked eye. Hopefully it will be ok.

It may take several miles before a damaged wheel bearing becomes apparent (airplane loud), so keep it in mind.
Old 05-31-2016
Registered!!

Ok thanks for your reply. I also have a leaky shock on that corner also. I'll let you know how it turns out. thanks.
Old 06-08-2016
Registered!!

The control arm is all repaired and the wheel is straight again. I'm getting a inlignment done on Tuesday. That's the fastest I could get it done. A dumb question maybe.... I now have seen how everything I set up on the suspension. How exactly do they do a inlignment on the rear wheels when there are not any adjusting parts. Just for my own knowledge. Thanks.
Old 06-08-2016

Did you neutralize the bushing(s)? With the cars weight on the wheels (so suspension is at normal ride height), loosen and retighten the one bolt holding the arm to the knuckle, along with any others that were taken apart. This allows the bushing to be in a relaxed or neutral state instead of being forced in a twist for the rest of its life leading to premature failure.

The toe adjusting point is an eccentric with a 15/16" hex (24mm) and a 17mm locknut that makes the rear lower knuckle bushing move in and out. It's on the rear of the LCA.