Transmission Post your issues with Transmissions here! Transmission covers from Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles.

08 civic si manual trans won't go into gear.

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2021
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Daniel Fountain is an unknown quantity at this point
08 civic si manual trans won't go into gear.

My dad recently picked up the car and we are trying to get it going. The previous owner said he went over some train track one day, I assume pretty hard, and the tranny stopped going in gear.

We've pulled apart the shifting assembly, everything seems to be intact. Idk the name of the part, but we pulled the mechanism that actually changes the gears in the trans mission, reached in and put the transmission in gear. The clutch is working, everything seems in order.
The only odd ball thing is that the shifter will go through the gears without out the clutch engaged without any resistance or grinding.

Neither he nor I know much abmuch transmissions so we are stumped.
Old 04-03-2021
Click Here

Received 1,157 Likes on 904 Posts
FRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of light
Re: 08 civic si manual trans won't go into gear.

Check your axles. I suspect one of them came dislodged from the intermediate shaft going over the bump. Exact same symptom as my integra.
Old 04-04-2021
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Daniel Fountain is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Chezboat24
Check your axles. I suspect one of them came dislodged from the intermediate shaft going over the bump. Exact same symptom as my integra.
I don't believe that's the issue. We pushed the car with it in gear and could see the gears in the trans mission turning
Old 04-04-2021
Click Here

Received 1,157 Likes on 904 Posts
FRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of light

That is a symptom of a dislodged axle. Since it isn't connected to the intermediate shaft, it will not move the wheels when in gear. Get the car up on stands and see for yourself.
Old 04-05-2021
Super Moderator

Received 1,895 Likes on 1,335 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

If you push the car and can see gears turning inside the transmission that would mean the axles are correctly seated, otherwise it would just spin inside the differential. I guess you could see a little movement in the transmission so it's still a good idea to check them.

How do you know the clutch is properly working? Shifting without the clutch and no grinding, was the engine running? If the transmission is in gear and clutch pedal released you can easily push the car?