Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

2010 Civic No Crank - New Starter - New Batt - One Click

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2023
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chazrik is an unknown quantity at this point
2010 Civic No Crank - New Starter - New Batt - One Click

Daughter’s 2010 Civic. She drove thru a flooded road and car stalled. Pushed her out, vehicle would crank, no start (as you would assume). Had it towed home and let it sit. Tried to start it days later and nothing. No crank, nothing. Batt ended up being dead and was replaced. Then would only give a single click (sounds like the bendex is engaging), but nothing else. Replaced the starter and still having the same issue, one click, nothing else! This thing has us scratching our heads. Any input is greatly appreciated!!!
Old 01-17-2023
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,156 Likes on 806 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2010 Civic No Crank - New Starter - New Batt - One Click

worst case scenario: she sucked up enough water to hydrolock, bend a rod, and possibly bind the piston in the cylinder. Might want to pull plugs and see if you can rotate the crank by hand. If you can, she lucked out a bit, but I'm willing to bet worst case scenario.

If you need a "how to" guide to rotate the engine by hand, 5:59 mark in this valve clearance adjustment DIY shows you how (I hotlinked it to start at the relevant part of the video)
Old 01-17-2023
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chazrik is an unknown quantity at this point

I’ve been seeing that term, hydrolock, a lot. I’ll check to see if I can rotate tomorrow! I do thank you for the info!!!
Old 01-18-2023
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,156 Likes on 806 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Just to give you some background on what hydrolock is

It's when enough eater is introduced into the combustion chamber. Water is effectively incompressible (unlike air), so when the piston travels upward in the compression stroke, it's trying to compress the (now) air and water mixture. Sure, the air compresses just like normal, but since the water doesn't, the piston is now battling that decreased volume to compress the amount of air it was designed for. With enough water, the weakest point of that piston-rod-crank assembly is the first to give, and in the case of hydrolock, it's the rod. It's like when Luke, Leia, Han, and Chewie try to use that big ol' beam in the trash compactor on the death star, it bends like a wet noodle (I've been on a Star Wars re-watch kick lately, but this works to help you visualize what the rod is doing).
Old 01-18-2023
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,450 Likes on 1,204 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

the other thing to look at are water in electrical connectors, fuse box
blown fuses from the water shorting stuff
Old 01-18-2023
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,131 Likes on 945 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Water probably shorted something, might still be in some connectors