Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

Rattling noise on cold start up

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2022
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dha12oks is an unknown quantity at this point
Rattling noise on cold start up

Hi,

Just wondering if someone can help, I have a Civic Type-R 07 reg and I've noticed recently that there's a rattling sound coming from the engine on a cold start up but goes away on 2nd or more start up if not left for a while.
I thought maybe it was the oil, so I topped that up as it was a bit low, but after leaving it for maybe 7 hours and starting it again it still is rattling, it idles perfectly idling at 2000 and dies down eventually to around 1000 (as expected).

What else would it be, worse case scenario a piston ring? Any feedback is appreciated, thanks.
Old 04-05-2022
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,450 Likes on 1,204 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: Rattling noise on cold start up

open the hood, start inspecting.
screw driver can pinpoint where the rattle is coming from

you have not given any reason you suspect it is internal to engine, so suppose it could be something else.
Old 04-05-2022
Registered!!

Hi mate,

Forgot to mention that we've done this, myself and my brother was checking it out and it does indeed sound like its coming from the engine block.
That said I've not done the screw driver trick yet (totally forgot tbh but I do watch a lot of Scotty's vids on YT xD), I'll have to do that when I got another person with as yeah I cannot do this by myself, only issue is we'd have to wait a while for the engine to settle, I'm guessing it's the piston rings though to be honest, as it starts up fine after the 2nd start, guessing they're lubricated more on a 2nd start up.
Old 04-05-2022
Super Moderator

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,322 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

Piston rings will never rattle.

Maybe it needs a valve adjustment.
Old 04-05-2022
Registered!!

Ah okay that's good to know, would that explain the cold start rattle and then okay on the 2nd+ starts?
Old 04-05-2022
Super Moderator

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,322 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

Possibly. When the engine sits for a while oil will drain from the head back into the oil pan. On the first start the cams/rollers/valves are "dry" and make a little noise. They quickly get oil from the pump once running so if restarted soon after won't make any noise.
Old 04-05-2022
Registered!!

Okay thanks mate I'll either get that looked into or with a help from my brothers dad who was a mechanic, take off the head cover/block and inspect.

Cheers again.
Old 04-05-2022
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,131 Likes on 945 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Heat shield?
Old 04-05-2022
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Colin42
Heat shield?
If I understand you correctly, are you talking about the cover that is covering the exhaust manifold?
If so that's secure.
Old 04-05-2022
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,131 Likes on 945 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

There's a few different ones on the manifold and exhaust. Try tapping on the manifold and exhaust with a rubber mallet when it's cold to see if you can hear a rattle
Old 04-05-2022
Registered!!

Okay cheers mate, I'll check it in an hour or so as I've just driven it.
The following users liked this post:
Colin42 (04-05-2022)