Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

Heat coming from hood? 9th gen civic sedan

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2020
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kyamusicc is an unknown quantity at this point
Heat coming from hood? 9th gen civic sedan

Hey can anybody tell me what that silver "cylinder looking " thing , that is mounted to my engine with the blue cable Is called ? Because it seems that everytime I start my car .its gets REALLY hot ...and it seems to be the only part that gets super hot within 2 mins of me starting my car ? Idk if I have an overheating issue..or what ....no check engine light ...no smoke coming from hood ..no milky residue in oil ...idk what it could be ...

Shop said it could be something as simple as low coolant (even though I recently had my oil changed at the dealer and my levels are ok and no leaks ..) they said it could be something like a bad thermostat .. no way of telling for sure unless I PAY THEM 100$ for a diagnostics test 🙄 I'm broke tho wish I could LOL .

Old 01-08-2020
Prelude Owner

Received 305 Likes on 215 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: Heat coming from hood? 9th gen civic sedan

That's the oxygen sensor or more specifically the air/fuel sensor. It will get extremely hot as it is located in the exhaust stream. Your exhaust header is under that heat shield.

If there is no CEL and the temp gauge in the car is reading normal don't worry about it.
Old 01-08-2020
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,164 Likes on 811 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Used an infrared surface thermometer in my 2002's header once. Measured at 500F from each runner. The 9thgen has an integrated exhaust collector in the cylinder head going to one exhaust pipe coming from the engine, and quite possibly a catalytic converter under that heat shield (the silver bit). That sucker is gonna get hot as hell, regardless if your engine is healthy or not, as long as it's running.

edit: if there's a catalytic converter under the heat shield, that'll definitely be the hottest thing in the engine bay.

Last edited by xRiCeBoYx; 01-09-2020 at 12:51 AM.
Old 01-09-2020
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

...lol.

It's supposed to get hot, as it is electrically heated in order to give accurate air/fuel readings.

Most of not all wideband air fuel sensors have heater circuits.
Old 01-09-2020
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,458 Likes on 1,209 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

my fart is warmer than the air around, and it's because it comes from my exhaust pipe, which is supposed to be hot...
Old 01-09-2020
Registered!!

Thank you to all who responded ! Im an ignoramus (CLEARLY) I' know Jack sh*t about cars .and thought .it might be a problem.. now one more question .(hope you knowledgeable folk dont mind ) but the fans in my car (under the hood) are only supposed to come on when I turn my ac on , OR when the components under my hood need to cool off right ? I'm not saying , that my fans dont come on when my components need to "cool off" . But if they didn't...would it be a thermostat issue ..?
Old 01-09-2020
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,152 Likes on 965 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

In plain English, what exactly is wrong with your car?
Old 01-09-2020
Registered!!

Apparently there's nothing wrong with the car ..(from the replys I've read) ....I just had concerns that it may be overheating because the oxygen sensor was SUPER HOT..but based on what I read..its SUPPOSED TO BE HOT ..and If i dont have a check engine light on my dashboard and temp gauge is reading normal ..I shouldn't worry about it

...I was trying to get educated about the components under my car...to put it simply...thank you .
Old 01-09-2020
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,164 Likes on 811 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Don't worry so much about the heat coming from the engine. They're designed to contain a series of controlled explosions.The thing to pay attention to is the coolant temperature gauge on your dash, and the icon looks like this:

That gauge should be sitting right below the halfway point when the car is at normal operating temperature. If it starts to creep up above that, that's when you worry.

Now, as for your fans. With the A/C off, should only run at a pre-determined coolant temperature set point and shut off when coolant temp is below a certain threshold temperature. Not gonna lie, I don't feel like looking up that set point at the moment. lol. With the A/C on, they'll come on more frequently. In fact, you'll likely see them kick on the moment you activate the A/C.
Old 01-11-2020
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,458 Likes on 1,209 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

and when it's time to change the coolant, don't use only water. Coolant fluid have a higher boiling point than water
yes, your car should be fine at this point