Transmission Post your issues with Transmissions here! Transmission covers from Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles.

5 speed not engaging correctly.

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jimbanjer is an unknown quantity at this point
5 speed not engaging correctly.

I just bought my wife a 2001 Honda Civic with 315,XXX miles. The PO told me the shifter bushings were worn and that he had tightened the cables to offset that. It drive fine for the first couple of weeks but would pop out of 5th unless you were holding it and had a hard time going into reverse. Last week it stopped going into the reverse position completely and grinds but doesn’t engage in the 3rd and 5th positions. I just replaced the bushings but was wondering how I need to adjust the shifter cables to realign it. It is a 5 speed. Thanks!
Old 06-23-2019
Registered!!

Re: 5 speed not engaging correctly.

I took both cables off the shifter and it goes into all positions fine. If I pull the cables themselves, they won’t go into the reverse position so I am wondering if it is the tranny.
Old 06-23-2019
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,124 Likes on 939 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Check the fluid level + condition. Only put Honda manual fluid in
Old 06-23-2019
Registered!!

I checked the fluid level and it was good but pretty burnt so I changed it with Full synthetic 10w30 just for now. There was no metal shavings but it still only grinds in fifth and won’t go into reverse position.
Old 06-24-2019
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

First, pull the shift boot cap off and watch the ball at the base shifter inside, is it split and opens up when you try to go into 5th.

If your shifter looks normal, then disconnect it from the transmission and move the shifter around and see if there is any restrictions.

Now shift the gears on the transmission by hand on the transmission itself. One part just goes back and forth, the other goes up and down before you move the first back and forth. You should easily be able to put it in all 6 gears.

if it goes into all six gears easily, have something or someone hold the gearshift in the middle neutral position and readjust the linkage so that when you install the cables back on the tranny they don’t try to move the shift levers.

Beyond that, I would just check around some junkyard for replacement options.
Old 06-24-2019
Registered!!

The ball does try to split open but it is the transmission itself preventing it from going into reverse.
Old 07-02-2019
Registered!!

So I got me a used 5 speed. Would it be easier to take it out the top or bottom. I don’t have a lift but I do have a jack, stands, and an engine hoist. I’ve done transmissions in trucks before but this is my first front wheel drive.
Old 07-02-2019

Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

When I did mine I took it out the top, you have to remove the water passage if you go out the top.
If you go out the bottom you have to loosen the subframe
Old 07-02-2019
Registered!!

It sounds like out the top is the best way to go for me! Is there any threads on this? I tried searching YouTube but didn’t find anything going out the top.
Old 07-02-2019

follow these two:

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...h-install.html
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...ould-know.html

you should do the clutch and throwout bearing, etc while you have everything apart
the first thread doesnt really mention the water passage since he just shoved the trans to one side to change the clutch.
its like 5 bolts, pretty straight forward, you can reuse the metal gasket just make the gasket and mating surfaces are clean, any dirt/sand will cause a leak.
Old 07-02-2019
Registered!!

I’ll inspect them when I pull the tranny. From what I can tell driving, they seem to be in good shape and I would imagine that with over 300k miles, they’ve been replaced before. My wife fell in love with an older Buick I’m fixing up to sell so now she wants me to sell the Honda after I get them both driving good lol!