Transmission Post your issues with Transmissions here! Transmission covers from Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles.

Automatic Transmission Leak

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2019
Registered!!

Received 81 Likes on 62 Posts
bachands is just really nicebachands is just really nicebachands is just really nicebachands is just really nice
Automatic Transmission Leak

Searched this forum, but didn't find exactly what I was looking for...

I have moisture all over the top and rear of my auto trans ('05 EX civic). The front of the trans is dry. The wettest spot I found is right on top of the trans where the banjo bolt secures the cooler pipe to the trans. I feel like this may be a common problem, so I'm hoping there may be a couple threads about it.

I found a Service Bulletin about this on AllData. It states that to fix this problem, the pipe should be disconnected, new crush washers should be used, and then the banjo bolt must be torqued BEFORE the bracket bolt. The leaking may be caused by misalignment of the crush washers if the bracket bolt is torqued before the banjo bolt. This makes sense to me.

I'm thinking I'll just buy four new washers and do both cooler pipe connections. I think I just have to remove the air box above the trans and it should all be easy to access. Not sure how much fluid I'll lose, but I'll buy a quart of DW-1 to top off when I'm done.

Is that all I should need to do? Should I buy new banjo bolts too?
Old 06-17-2019
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
Re: Automatic Transmission Leak

give it a go, the parts are cheap enough,
doubt you'd lose enough fluid that you would need to top it off, but check it to be sure
Old 06-17-2019
Registered!!

bachands is just really nicebachands is just really nicebachands is just really nicebachands is just really nice

When checking trans fluid level for a Civic, is it the same for other cars? ....
Drive around for 10-15 mins, park on level surface, go through all the gears, let idle for 2-3 mins, then check level while the engine is idling.

Found the parts I needed online for $9, but shipping is about $12. Luckily there's a Honda dealership not too far that has the parts in stock. They said they'd just give me the washers for free. Fluid is about $9 after taxes, but no shipping. Works for me
Old 06-17-2019
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by bachands
When checking trans fluid level for a Civic, is it the same for other cars? ....
Drive around for 10-15 mins, park on level surface, go through all the gears, let idle for 2-3 mins, then check level while the engine is idling.
Not quite, get it warm (drive around for 10-15 mis), then on a level surface with the engine off check the level
Old 06-17-2019
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Colin42
Not quite, get it warm (drive around for 10-15 mis), then on a level surface with the engine off check the level
OK, thanks. A bit different than what I'm used to.
Old 06-17-2019
Registered!!

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light

These engines have a common engine oil leak from the camshaft end plug up near the EGR valve that could potentially drip down over the trans. Just in case this is the situation and not a transmission leak...
Old 06-17-2019
Registered!!

^^^^^^^

Thanks for the reply. I know about that plug. Mine indeed was leaking a little, but I replaced the plug a couple weeks ago. The oil from that leak tends to pool in that little crevice next to the EGR and maybe down the front of the engine and trans, My leak is definitely trans fluid probably being blown from the top toward the rear.
Old 03-05-2021
Registered!!

UPDATE

Looking at this thread, it's been almost two years since I've done this repair. Every time I've been under the car or looking in the engine bay since then, it's been clean and dry on the trans side. Great to see
I haven't noticed any issues with shifting either.

And when it comes to fluid service (drain and fill), I've decided every year may be best. Every two years is too long. I find too much sludge on the plug magnet when I drain the fluid. It's a pretty quick job and doesn't cost much anyway. This should keep the trans shifting well even as the miles go up.
The following 2 users liked this post by bachands:
Colin42 (03-05-2021), sdaidoji (03-05-2021)
Old 04-03-2023
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMCH1985 is an unknown quantity at this point

15, 17, 21