Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

02 Civic EX lack of power on hills no cel

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2022
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Matt.g is an unknown quantity at this point
02 Civic EX lack of power on hills no cel

2002 Honda Civic EX 1.7 190k miles.
Had VTEC and misfire codes back in October. After swapping the VTEC solenoid and having someone clean out the intake manifold there have been no more check engine lights but ever since I've been having issues with lack of power most notably when going uphill. For example on the highway to work which has a stretch of uphill driving I used to be able to easily maintain 55-60 mph and now even if I get up to 60mph before the hill the car just slows down gradually until I'm struggling to maintain 40. The problem seems to be at its worst when in 3rd-5th gear on hills and it also takes much longer to accelerate to 60mph on flat roads than it did before. The only other issue is the clutch is starting to go but that didn't start acting up until last month and I want to try to diagnose the first issue before deciding on getting a new clutch/transmission but I have no idea what could be causing the lack of power without throwing any Check engine lights please help
Old 04-20-2022
Super Moderator

Received 1,895 Likes on 1,335 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of
Re: 02 Civic EX lack of power on hills no cel

Sticking brakes? Clogged cat? Dirty air filter?
The following users liked this post:
Matt.g (04-20-2022)
Old 04-20-2022
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,137 Likes on 951 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

My bet is clogged cat
The following 2 users liked this post by Colin42:
BrotatoChip (04-20-2022), Matt.g (04-20-2022)
Old 04-20-2022
Registered!!

brakes and air filter have been checked and seem to be fine. It could be the cat but I took it to a dealership to get an overall diagnostic test done on it and they marked it good for "Inspect exhaust system for leaks, damage, and loose parts". Would the cat had shown an issue there or is that not something they would've tested during that? Just for more info the dealership only said there was a clutch/transmission issue which just started recently so I don't think that would be it and an oil leak that's been there for years and I monitor daily to make sure it isn't low.
Old 04-20-2022
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,137 Likes on 951 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Not something they would check forWhat's this clutch/transmission issue?
The following users liked this post:
Matt.g (04-20-2022)
Old 04-20-2022
Registered!!

it started slipping here and there mostly when shifting within the last month. The dealership was trying to say that the reason for the power decline but as I said that has been an issue since October and there was no slipping or signs of the clutch going bad until recently.
Old 04-20-2022
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,456 Likes on 1,207 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

clogged cat is easy, either open enough to see if it is clogged or loosen the exhaust before the cat and see if it improves
clogged cat is like if you want to happily fart, but someone plugged your exit hole
highly upsetting when you can't happily fart
The following 2 users liked this post by sdaidoji:
BrotatoChip (04-21-2022), Matt.g (04-20-2022)
Old 04-20-2022
Registered!!

Alright thanks ill try that tomorrow and see if it improves at all
Old 04-21-2022
Super Moderator

Received 1,895 Likes on 1,335 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

Just a heads up, the car will be loud with the exhaust opened up.
Old 04-21-2022
Registered!!

So we disconnected the cat and took it out and while it seemed it had more power, the clutch was slipping a lot more than it usually does even with light touches to the gas and once we reconnected the cat it went back to not slipping as much. So maybe it had more power and the clutch is so bad that it struggled more than usual to keep up. I don't know if that is a reasonable conclusion to come to so if not let me know. Otherwise we are going to replace the clutch here in a week or two then try again and see how it goes without the slipping. I appreciate all the help.
Old 04-21-2022
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,456 Likes on 1,207 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

have you had a chance to look inside the cat? below is a bad case.

Name:  zzNFDYU.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  57.7 KB
Old 04-21-2022
Registered!!

Didn't have enough time today but we will look at it when we get a chance