Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

Injector question and timing belt question

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LisaZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Injector question and timing belt question

Have 2003 Civic Si hatch and for a few weeks it's been making a tapping noise in the engine compartment. My husband says "valve job uh oh" but my mechanic says "nah, sounds like an injector, they make noise after you get a few miles on the car" (car has 160K). Taps at idle and taps faster with acceleration. Drives me nuts so I keep the radio loud but don't want to ignore a serious issue. Was also told by two mechanics that this model does NOT need timing belt changed as it has a timing chain to last the life of the car. True or false?
Old 03-27-2019
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,450 Likes on 1,204 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: Injector question and timing belt question

uhn...

not an introduction, rather an issue...

moving to right forum sections...
Old 03-27-2019
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Use a stethoscope to pinpoint the source of the noise?
Old 03-27-2019
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

Originally Posted by LisaZ
Have 2003 Civic Si hatch and for a few weeks it's been making a tapping noise in the engine compartment. My husband says "valve job uh oh" but my mechanic says "nah, sounds like an injector, they make noise after you get a few miles on the car" (car has 160K). Taps at idle and taps faster with acceleration. Drives me nuts so I keep the radio loud but don't want to ignore a serious issue. Was also told by two mechanics that this model does NOT need timing belt changed as it has a timing chain to last the life of the car. True or false?
If you can hear a Honda injector without a stethoscope or similar device then you have a serious issue.

As too the timing chain, it has a tensioner and as that chain wears out it gets longer and the tensioner stops being able to hold it and you will start getting noises and if left to progress, damage up to catastrophic.

Yes those chains can last 2-300k miles, but neglect proper oil change intervals and I seen them worn out under 100k and chattering.
Old 03-28-2019
Super Moderator

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,322 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

I had an '03 Si at one point, it made it 150k miles before the timing chain tensioner gave out. The engine jumped time and ended up bending 8 valves. Definitely replace it if it hasn't been done.

I also had an '07 Accord with a 4 cylinder (similar K series engine), it went 280k miles before the chain stretched so much it was eating through the chain cover and the tensioner couldn't keep it tight.
Old 03-28-2019
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

Why not unplug each injector at a time and see if the sound goes away?

You'll have to clear the CEL codes after for a misfire.