Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

Screwed up my air cleaner housing screws..

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010
sc3
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sc3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Screwed up my air cleaner housing screws..

Should have left the job for the professionals, but had to try and replace the air filter myself. In the process I broke a few screws (either those screws have been made to break easily, or I have just attained super strength). Where can I buy spare screws? Will pep-boys etc. carry these screws or is the Honda dealer my only hope. I believe the part I need is 90091-P36-000.
Old 05-31-2010
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Screwed up my air cleaner housing screws..

$2.20 each: http://www.hondapartscheap.com/south...ntity=0&qty0=1

or $2.22 each: http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...y5=AIR+CLEANER

Did you manage to snap those bolts? If so, how?? lol
Old 05-31-2010
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

wouldnt have mattered who did it. the shop wouldve broken them too. the screws should only be hand tight with a screwdriver, since the housing is only plastic. im assuming you cracked the housing. but if you did somehow manage to break just the screws, i should have a few spares i can send you free.
Old 05-31-2010
sc3
Registered!!

Thanks. I did look at these, but shipping and handling kills the online deals. Really $3 per screw!!, in contrast the air filter seems damn cheap at 15-20 bucks.

I guess I just over torqued it the first time, snapping off 2 screws. Then I messed up further trying to get a screw at each corner, when I broke another one (even though I was gentle the second time). I guess I had already fractured the 3rd screw in the first attempt.
Old 05-31-2010
sc3
Registered!!

@gearbox: Thanks a lot, that is very generous of you, but I cannot get myself accept the generous offer. Thankfully, the housing did not crack.
Old 05-31-2010
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

you dont want free screws? why not, they have been sitting in a box for years, i have aftermarket intake and will never need them. i dont even have the airbox anymore.
Old 02-24-2011
Registered!!

jgg204 is an unknown quantity at this point

Firestone used a powertool and cracked all screw placements on my engine air filter housing box. i can't determine when they did it so i figured i would just save myself the aggrevation and do it myself and combine it with a throttle body cleaning that i'll also do myself.

where can i go about getting this part? the Honda parts online websites want $54.36 for the entire bottom set which seems a bit steep.
Old 02-24-2011
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

On the 7th gens...the bottom portion has threaded inserts and the lower open end is exposed to the elements... It is best to keep these lubed with a light oil and do not over-tighten.

$55 sounds fair...it's a fairly large bit and has the inserts in place.
Old 02-24-2011
Registered!!

jgg204 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by CraigW
On the 7th gens...the bottom portion has threaded inserts and the lower open end is exposed to the elements... It is best to keep these lubed with a light oil and do not over-tighten.

$55 sounds fair...it's a fairly large bit and has the inserts in place.
well $55 includes the entire bottom set. i just need the bottom housing box so i was hoping to find it cheaper but no luck on ebay and several other parts websites.

Last edited by jgg204; 02-24-2011 at 09:56 AM.
Old 05-06-2013
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vexorg is an unknown quantity at this point

Can i get a replacement for these bolts 90091-P36-000 at a local hardware store? Any way to tell what size they are?
Old 05-06-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vexorg
Can i get a replacement for these bolts 90091-P36-000 at a local hardware store? Any way to tell what size they are?
Take one all the way out of the housing, then carry it in to the store and match it up.
Old 05-06-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Take one all the way out of the housing, then carry it in to the store and match it up.
Haha... there are none left

Just moved from NJ > CA (they are stricter) and failed the smog test due to "tampering" so I had my old airbox shipped from home. Apparently, it wasn't shipped with the screws.
Old 05-06-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Catalog just says 5mm (shaft size). No thread pitch given.

Lengths are 28mm (x6), and 40mm (x1)
Old 05-06-2013
EM2ti

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
maxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ezone
Catalog just says 5mm (shaft size). No thread pitch given.

Lengths are 28mm (x6), and 40mm (x1)
They should be coarse 0.8mm pitch. Great find finding the lengths!
Old 05-06-2013
Registered!!

Thanks for the help guys! I was able to find bolts that worked
Old 06-17-2015
Registered!!

mastedon is an unknown quantity at this point

@Gearbox, Where can I find an aftermarket air filter housing? So many people having this problem reflects a really bad design. This should be a recall item - screws rusting so that you can't get a plastic case open?! In all the years and all the vehicles, I have never had to pull out a wrench to change an air filter.
Old 06-18-2015
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

gearbox is missing......after 10-11 years and 4k post I'm about to pass up his post #s.

Yes, it is a bad design. Luckily thanks to this site I was able to prevent my 05s inserts from problems by keeping them lightly lubed.

Are they seized ??
Can you dab in some PB blaster at the exposed portion of screw/insert ??
Old 07-03-2019
Registered!!

Silverbullet05 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gearbox
wouldnt have mattered who did it. the shop wouldve broken them too. the screws should only be hand tight with a screwdriver, since the housing is only plastic. im assuming you cracked the housing. but if you did somehow manage to break just the screws, i should have a few spares i can send you free.
Mill take those spare screws if you still got em
i have the same problem mentioned in this thread.
Old 07-03-2019
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

thread is 4 years old....

go to the dealer and buy new ones
Old 07-03-2019
Registered!!

Silverbullet05 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Colin42
thread is 4 years old....

go to the dealer and buy new ones

Ya I can get them elsewhere but it was worth a try, right?