Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

Replacing the head gasket

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wardhaines is an unknown quantity at this point
Replacing the head gasket

For those of you who have had to, did the head require machining?

I have water being blown out of the coolent overflow so I will need to at least replace the gasket.

The dealership gave me the "you probably need the head replaced since machining an aluminum head rarely works......" and quoted 3 times the cost of what a head and gasket set can be gotten for.
Old 01-05-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Replacing the head gasket

almost always it will. the head can usually be machined within spec and work fine. just take it to a machine shop and have them do the works (compression test, cleaning, milling, etc) for maybe $150. but it may not even be the headgasket. what other signs do you have, aside from coolant spilling from the tank? that could be caused by other issues too. did the car ever overheat, do the cooling fans work, is there any white smoke or white deposits on the spark plugs, is there air in the cooling system...
Old 01-06-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

When mine was blown they never had to do anything to it. Just needed a new gasket. I think its hit or miss.. But in any case the head needs to be pulled..so why not spend extra $100 or so to get it compression tested and checked for warpage?
Old 01-07-2010
Registered!!

Hondaguy89 is an unknown quantity at this point

Is replacing a head gasket hard to do in these cars? Mine isnt blown, but it has happened in the past in another car. It is an SOHC engine so maybe its not too hard, or expensive? For those that have done it, what is the average cost?
Old 01-07-2010
Registered!!

04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

Average cost is around $800-$1200 its not hard, but it is very time consuming work. You have to remove alternator ps and all that fun stuff motor mount valve cover tb cam..lots to remove.
Old 01-07-2010
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

yeah almost everything in the bay comes out, and you need to know how stuff goes back and the torque values for alot of different bolts. also how to time the engine.
Old 01-08-2010
Registered!!

If you have never done a timing belt before, I reccomend you either get help from someone who knows what they are doing, or take it to a shop.
Old 01-08-2010
Registered!!

Hondaguy89 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok, thanks guys. So, maybe its good preventative maintenance to replace the headgasket when replacing the timing belt/water pump? Again, I dont have any problems, just curious because the belt will need to be replaced about 10,000 miles down the road.
Old 01-08-2010
Premium Member

No not really, the headgasket is way more work than just changing a timing belt. and no reason to change something thats not broken. you need alot more parts and time to do the gasket.
Old 01-15-2010
Registered!!

hondaguy - You don't want to do a head gasket if you don't have to.
Believe me, it isn't as fun as it sounds.
It's not difficult but time consuming.

Gearbox - Those prices were close to what I found locally. I went ahead with a rebuilt for $340, deilvered from the "net".
Old 01-15-2010
Premium Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

I got a D17 full head gasket kit if your going to do, so get at me- I'm not going to use it.
Old 01-22-2010
Registered!!

Well it is done.
I replaced the gasket/head, timing belt/idler and water pump for a total purchase price of just under $800 plus about 32 hours of work. It would probably take me a little less time if I had to do it again but I hope I never have to find out.
It is running great and I am not losing any water. Woo Hoo!!

In the attached photo you can see where the #4 cylinder sleeve overall has a lot of corrosion on the top and a lot toward the intake side. I think that is where the exhaust was forcing its way into the water passage.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	New Head 07 800X600.jpg
Views:	14022
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	77801  
Old 05-13-2019
Registered!!

T.j. Sturm is an unknown quantity at this point

You did the work yourself....how did it still cost so much?!?
Originally Posted by wardhaines
Well it is done.
I replaced the gasket/head, timing belt/idler and water pump for a total purchase price of just under $800 plus about 32 hours of work. It would probably take me a little less time if I had to do it again but I hope I never have to find out.
It is running great and I am not losing any water. Woo Hoo!!

In the attached photo you can see where the #4 cylinder sleeve overall has a lot of corrosion on the top and a lot toward the intake side. I think that is where the exhaust was forcing its way into the water passage.
Old 05-13-2019
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,124 Likes on 939 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

thread was 8 years ago....
Old 05-13-2019
Super Moderator

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,298 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

Using Honda genuine parts only it's nearly $600.

Timing belt: $40
Tensioner kit: $140
Water pump: $110
Head gasket: $50
Head bolts: $90
Head machining: $100
Coolant: $50
Old 05-13-2019
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BrotatoChip
Using Honda genuine parts only it's nearly $600.

Timing belt: $40
Tensioner kit: $140
Water pump: $110
Head gasket: $50
Head bolts: $90
Head machining: $100
Coolant: $50
Scratch those head bolts off the list, save $$
May want a few other gaskets as well
Old 05-13-2019
Super Moderator

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,298 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

Shoot, you're correct. I thought the D headbolts were TTY like the K series, I should've checked first. Every time I pull the head on a K series I have to replace the headbolts.
Old 06-16-2019
Registered!!

Julz.vanj is an unknown quantity at this point

In the past month i have done 4 or 5 head gasket replacements now. All done on my own vehicle,1998 civic ex with a d15block and a y8 head.. reason is because my first time. But i noticed after each one, it took less and less time. Just last night i had to pull the head gasket again cause i blew it coming home from work. This time it took only 30 mins to completely take off the gasket. It is time consuming at first, but now its a snap...