Electrical Post your questions about electrical issues here!

headlights and “brights” light flicker when headlights are on [solved]

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2023
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
smithqd is an unknown quantity at this point
headlights and “brights” light flicker when headlights are on [solved]

The flickering of the headlights and “brights” dash light only happen when the headlights are turned on. No other dash light or interior car light flickers. And there are never any flickers with headlights turned off. I haven’t noticed any performances issues during the flickering. Notably - I just recently flushed all my A/C lines and evaporator and replaced all the components. I was deep into the passenger side dash to remove the blower and ECM to get to the TXV to replace it. Everything works fine. Drove the car daily for 1 week after doing all this car work and the lights never flickered. Just started flickering yesterday.

My research found the following that I will look into:- Battery, battery terminals

- Alternator, make sure alternator plug is pressed in, check connection b/w battery and alternator

- Engine ground wires

- Fuse 15 inside car (alternator speed sensor fuse)

- Wiring harness behind the manifold and 02 sensor wires

- Test voltage regulator?

- Electronic load detector unit

- Ignition switch

- Unplug/plug fuse box connector in engine bay

anyone have other ideas? This seems weird that it only happens when I turn the headlights on? If someone could post useful wiring diagrams that would be super helpful!

edit: flickering is reproducible when my a/c is turned on: Battery is good. Alternator checked at auto zone was good. With the car running I get 14.5V even when I get it up past 2000 rpm. When I turn the A/C on the clutch engages and the voltage across the battery drops down to as low as 12.7V. Then the clutch disengages and the voltage climbs. It continues to cycle like this and when it does this my headlights flicker. It’s the weirdest thing. Any ideas?

Last edited by smithqd; 05-20-2023 at 01:12 PM.

Top Answer

05-20-2023
Colin42
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,131 Likes on 945 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
re: headlights and “brights” light flicker when headlights are on [solved]

No led bulbs installed? Bad voltage regulator or alternator would be my guess
Old 05-20-2023
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,449 Likes on 1,203 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

what are "brights"?!?
Old 05-20-2023
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
what are "brights"?!?
the dash light that comes on when you turn your brights on
Old 05-20-2023
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

are you talking about high beams?
The following users liked this post:
Colin42 (05-20-2023)
Old 05-20-2023

Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

smithqd (05-20-2023)
Old 05-20-2023
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
are you talking about high beams?
yeah I guess we call them brights where I’m from
Old 05-20-2023
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Colin42
I thought that too. The alternator checked out good at AutoZone. And my volt meter testing showed that even with accelerating the car, the voltage stayed stable across the battery around 14.5V. I thought that if it was bad voltage regulator then the voltage would continue to climb?

also - I do have high quality LED bulbs. But I’ve had them for a year now and never any issues. It’s also both headlights that flicker not just one.

and I can’t explain why the A/C compressor clutch engages on and off as explained above. I figured it was somehow connected to the headlights issue
Old 05-20-2023

The compressor is going to cycle on and off.
I'm going to suspect the bulbs although i wouldn't trust anything from autozone
Old 05-20-2023
Registered!!

I’ll pull an alternator from a junkyard tomorrow for 25 bucks and see if that fixes my problem. I’ll message again with the results. Thanks for your help!
Old 05-20-2023
PITA Admin
Administrator

Originally Posted by smithqd
edit: flickering is reproducible when my a/c is turned on: Battery is good. Alternator checked at auto zone was good. With the car running I get 14.5V even when I get it up past 2000 rpm. When I turn the A/C on the clutch engages and the voltage across the battery drops down to as low as 12.7V. Then the clutch disengages and the voltage climbs. It continues to cycle like this and when it does this my headlights flicker. It’s the weirdest thing. Any ideas?
wiring damaged somewhere?
Old 05-21-2023
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,154 Likes on 806 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

is it actual flickering or intermittent dimming?
Old 05-22-2023
Registered!!

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
is it actual flickering or intermittent dimming?
it’s definitely flickering. I think it might be that since my A/C never worked since I got the car last year, I never turned the A/C on at night to notice the flickering of my LED bulbs. Im looking into buying some decoders for the LEDs now. I’m thinking the compressor just takes a lot of voltage and the voltage drop is messing with the LEDs. I’ll message back when I have them installed and let y’all know if it fixes the problem. Decided to hold off on just replacing the alternator for now.
Old 05-22-2023
PITA Admin
Administrator

the compressor mostly uses the engine power.
your electrical wiring to turn compressor on is the suspect of drawing electrical power, most likely something is shorting somewhere behind the dash
Old 05-25-2023
Registered!!

SOLVED

You were right — it was the bulbs. I purchased:

GTR Lighting - PWM LED/HID Anti-Flicker Decoders - H4/9003

From the same site I got my LED bulbs from last year. It’s really odd to me how it was fine all year and just started happening 1 week after doing A/C work (compressor, condenser, drier, TXV, flushed all the lines). It occasionally happened even with the A/C off. Now there’s no flickering at all.

Thanks everyone for your comments!

Last edited by smithqd; 05-25-2023 at 08:57 PM.
Old 05-25-2023
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Something is striking me as odd if it was because of the bulbs (and presumably low voltage being supplied to them). Automotive headlight bulbs typically have an acceptable voltage range of like.. 10-30VDC. If you were experiencing flicker, that tells me voltage was dropping below that acceptable range. You might have fixed the flickering problem with the decoders, but you may have a larger problem at hand. You wouldn't happen to have any voltage readings while the car is operating, would you? Specifically, when any dimming starts to occur.

There is a very real possibility that I'm just thinking worst case scenario
Old 05-26-2023

Re: headlights and “brights” light flicker when headlights are on [solved]

Probably just getting worn, i had it happen in my 2000
xRiCeBoYx (05-26-2023)
Old 05-26-2023
Registered!!

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
Something is striking me as odd if it was because of the bulbs (and presumably low voltage being supplied to them). Automotive headlight bulbs typically have an acceptable voltage range of like.. 10-30VDC. If you were experiencing flicker, that tells me voltage was dropping below that acceptable range. You might have fixed the flickering problem with the decoders, but you may have a larger problem at hand. You wouldn't happen to have any voltage readings while the car is operating, would you? Specifically, when any dimming starts to occur.

There is a very real possibility that I'm just thinking worst case scenario
When flickering with a/c on the voltage was a low of 12.7V across the battery. I thought maybe I had a bad voltage regulator but with acceleration the voltage remained stable at 14.5V. Never higher. So I figured that was good enough diagnosis to rule out regulator issues
Old 05-26-2023
Administrator
Administrator

That's normal operating voltage range. I'm going with that Colin said then. I was just thinking about the time my alternator died on my way home from school back in like.. 2012. I had a voltage gauge in my car (by way of an A'PEXi VAFC-II) and I was limping it home at 11V right as the sun was going down. Wasn't a fun time.
smithqd (05-26-2023)