Electrical Post your questions about electrical issues here!

Door lock switch and key fobs not working

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2022
Able-frie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Able-frie is an unknown quantity at this point
Door lock switch and key fobs not working

About a year and a half ago my driver's door, door lock switch stopped working, I couldn't connect my key fobs as well. Today I finnely said screw it and got a new switch thinking that was the problem. I got a $20 ebay switch. It is not changing the problem. I have checked many fuses under the hood including the door lock fuse 16 (20A) and that is fine. I am wondering what else I can do to diagnose the issue? Thank you for your time
Old 02-22-2022
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,449 Likes on 1,203 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: Door lock switch and key fobs not working

wiring. they quite old at this point
The following users liked this post:
NDNV (02-23-2022)
Old 02-22-2022
Able-frie

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
wiring. they quite old at this point
so do I just follow the wires and try and find what happened to em? Are they easy to replace?
Old 02-22-2022
Able-frie

Is there any other possible reasons it wont work? Any ways to really diagnose the problem?

Last edited by Able-frie; 02-22-2022 at 11:40 PM.
Old 02-23-2022
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,131 Likes on 945 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Wires in the door harness are probably broken
NDNV (02-23-2022)
Old 02-23-2022
Registered!!

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Colin42
Wires in the door harness are probably broken
Definitely check this area under the rubber conduit. Personally had multiple power window issues for all 4 windows caused by a broken wire in this area. The flexing and age causes breaks. I suspect the wire bundle has little to no slack in it as well making matters worse.
Old 02-28-2022
Able-frie

I have taken the whole wireing harness out of the door and followed all 3 of the wires and everything looks fine. What else could my problem be..?? I'm stumped!
Old 03-01-2022

Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Did you pull back the rubber boot? They like to fail right under there
Old 03-01-2022
Super Moderator

Received 1,875 Likes on 1,320 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

Wiring can have continuity when checked with a meter but can fail once a load is placed.
Old 03-01-2022

Originally Posted by BrotatoChip
Wiring can have continuity when checked with a meter but can fail once a load is placed.
100% this
Old 03-01-2022
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

yeah, even if insulation is OK, wires can be broken inside by the stress from opening and closing the door
Old 03-01-2022
Able-frie

I took off all tape, moved the boot and looked at every sq inch of every wire... so today, I went and got a secondary door with another wireing harness and it still doesn't work.. before I make the purchase of a multiplex.. is there litterely anything else I should check, having two doors, two wireing harnesses and 3 switches!! Thanks a bunch for everyone's help. Also, how specific are those multiplexes? It's a 2002, 4 door, EX, manual tranny. Which of those spefications or others have to be the same when purchasing a used or new multiplex?
Old 03-01-2022
Able-frie

How likely is it, that two different wireing harnesses would have the same problem..?? Everything else on both wireing harnesses work just fine..
Old 03-01-2022
PITA Admin
Administrator

key fobs... something wrong on the receiver?
the door wiring around the door hinges are the most common issues and should be checked first, that cleared, need to check for other causes. all else ok, you turn back and recheck stuff again using different methods
electrical issues are weird, sometimes the issue could be apparently unrelated.
do the locks on the other doors work?
Old 03-01-2022
Able-frie

the door wiring around the door hinges are the most common issues and should be checked first, that cleared, need to check for other causes. all else ok, you turn back and recheck stuff again using different methods
The key fobs do not work. Cannot connect them. But the bigger more easy thing to see.. is the switch on the driver's door does not work. it is supposed to lock and unlock all the doors. And it does not. The doors lock manualy. But not by the switch. I have checked all wireing in the door. And even switched the whole wireing harness in the drivers door.. and still nothing.
Old 03-01-2022
Able-frie

Where exsactly is the receiver for the key fobs..??
Old 03-01-2022

Originally Posted by Able-frie
Where exsactly is the receiver for the key fobs..??
Behind the radio,
you can try powering the actuators directly, maybe one of them has failed and that's giving the system problems
Old 03-02-2022
Super Moderator

BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

Have you checked fuses yet? Specifically number 20 (40 A), 9 (10 A), and 16 (20 A) all in the under-hood fuse box. As well as number 10 (7.5 A) in the under-dash fuse box.
Old 03-02-2022
Able-frie

Originally Posted by Colin42
Behind the radio,
you can try powering the actuators directly, maybe one of them has failed and that's giving the system problems
And how do I do that??
Old 03-02-2022
Able-frie

Have you checked fuses yet? Specifically number 20 (40 A), 9 (10 A), and 16 (20 A) all in the under-hood fuse box. As well as number 10 (7.5 A) in the under-dash fuse box.
I have checked ALL fuses except relays in both fuse boxes. I don't really know how to check relays.
Old 03-02-2022
Super Moderator

Do you have a voltmeter/multimeter? Unplug one of the lock actuators and probe into the two pins with the meter. When you use the door switch to lock/unlock you should see +/- 12V if the circuit is working properly. The actuators are controlled by a fairly straightforward circuit and should be easy to test (with some know-how).

If you do not already have the service manual, you can find a download link in the below thread. The door lock section starts on page 22-218.
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...pdated-13.html
Old 03-02-2022

And how do I do that??
jumper wires

I have checked ALL fuses except relays in both fuse boxes. I don't really know how to check relays.
Jumper wires to the coil
BrotatoChip (03-03-2022)
Old 03-08-2022
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
James Roark has a spectacular aura aboutJames Roark has a spectacular aura aboutJames Roark has a spectacular aura about

Mine is doing the same thing, I can hear a click (Im assuming from a relay) when I hit the switch but it won't actually move the locks. I've read that either of the actuators being bad (mine is a 2 door) can cause both of them to not function. Still haven't tore into mine yet but it sounds like yours might be the actuators.