General Got a question or want to post but it doesn't quite fall under any other topic? Post up here!

Subframe damage

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2022
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nb826 is an unknown quantity at this point
Subframe damage

Hiii I have a '18 civic and recently got maintenance done at the dealership (I know nothing about cars). They told me I have "severe subframe damage, scrapes on transmission pan, and a small leak from front of the pan." Since I am not sure when or how the damage occurred, the dealership worker told me to make a claim with my insurance and tell them I hit a brick at night and I would just have to pay my deductible. My main question is whether this damage is a high priority to fix right now and if my car is still safe to commute with for the mean time? Also if I should get the damage checked out elsewhere for a second opinion or trust the dealership. Thanks in advance!
Old 09-09-2022
Click Here

Received 1,156 Likes on 903 Posts
FRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Subframe damage

Okay, a few things to break down here.

Severe subframe damage may affect the structural integrity of the car, depending on if it damaged the frame as a result. I would call that high priority. The transmission pan? Probably not. From the sounds of it, you (or the previous owner, assuming there is one) definitely ran something over.

Sure, you could make a claim, but you'll raise your insurance rates as a result. That's your call.
The following users liked this post:
nb826 (09-09-2022)
Old 09-09-2022
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,450 Likes on 1,204 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

hard to tell without seeing a thing other than your words.
Severe from some could be a simple thing to others
The following users liked this post:
nb826 (09-09-2022)
Old 09-09-2022
Prelude Owner

Received 305 Likes on 215 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Did you hit something? How long have you had the car? They could just be trying to get work outta you. I’d look for myself and or get a second opinion.
Old 09-09-2022
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nb826 is an unknown quantity at this point

Only thing I could think of is I hit the street when going too fast down a hill but that was almost a year ago. I figured they would have mentioned that damage then. But this time for maintenance they did more than an oil change and also changed the transmission fluid-- im guessing that allowed them to see the damage? Im definitely gonna get a second opinion too thanks!