Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Cost to fix my Civic involved in accident?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VictorWilliams is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Cost to fix my Civic involved in accident?

Hi,

My 2008 Honda Civic LX was involved in a crash with a state vehicle (Pick-Up truck) in Rhode Island . I was waiting to take a left to move to the opposite lane and the truck guy smashed the front of my car (bumper, two headlights, the radiator (a bit) and the hood). I frantically want help with two questions now:

(a) While I am sure that it was his mistake, myself and my insurance are waiting for the police and crash report. My claims adjuster told me that it will ultimately be depicted in the police report as if it was my mistake and I may at least end up taking the majority of liability for the damages, if not full liability . In case if the mistake is also identified with the truck guy, then will the state bear at least a part of the repair cost for my car? Any idea? I also read about something like Federal immunity for government employees, TORT law, etc.. so this has gotten even more confusing now.

(b) In case if the government doesn't give a penny and if it turns out that expecting justice from them is as useless as **** on a boar, then I would like to pay for the repairs out of my pocket, without even involving insurance. Here are pics of the front damage of my car: "http://postimg.org/gallery/14n7v98r2/". I would be very thankful if I can know a ballpark estimate of the cost to fix the car, based on all your previous experience. I don't even want much paint job, I just want to get my car back on road without beautifying it much.

Any help is greatly appreciated and apologies if this is not the forum or section to post it. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	418
Size:	971.3 KB
ID:	88543   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	660
Size:	744.5 KB
ID:	88544   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	963.2 KB
ID:	88545   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	712.0 KB
ID:	88546   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	603.0 KB
ID:	88547  

Click image for larger version

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	618.5 KB
ID:	88548   Click image for larger version

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	701.1 KB
ID:	88549   Click image for larger version

Name:	8.jpg
Views:	439
Size:	588.9 KB
ID:	88550   Click image for larger version

Name:	9.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	609.2 KB
ID:	88551  
Old 03-01-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cost to fix my Civic involved in accident?

My claims adjuster told me that it will ultimately be depicted in the police report as if it was my mistake
Evidence? Cop says? BS right off the bat?

Buy a dash cam!
then I would like to pay for the repairs out of my pocket, without even involving insurance.
WTF do you pay for insurance for?
Unless you are only covered for liability, let the insurance company do what they do.
a ballpark estimate of the cost to fix the car,
You need to get the damage and repair estimate figures from your insurance company, that will be your ballpark.

Expect it to go higher if more damage is discovered during repairs.

You may want to get other transportation during the repairs (you may as well buy another car now LOL)... Between insurance and body shops, these things can take months to complete.
Old 03-01-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VictorWilliams is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ezone
Evidence? Cop says? BS right off the bat?

Buy a dash cam!
WTF do you pay for insurance for?
Unless you are only covered for liability, let the insurance company do what they do.

You need to get the damage and repair estimate figures from your insurance company, that will be your ballpark.

Expect it to go higher if more damage is discovered during repairs.

You may want to get other transportation during the repairs (you may as well buy another car now LOL)... Between insurance and body shops, these things can take months to complete.

Actually the main reason I did not want to go fix it through my insurance company is because my monthly premium will go up ridiculously and I have to live with this increased amount for almost the rest of my life. If it is up to $2500 total, I'm willing to pay it out of my pocket.
Old 03-01-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Have you asked your insurance company about your rates going up?

I've been there, I was quite surprised at how little my rates changed after a couple large claims due to eff-ups on my part.
Old 03-01-2016
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of light

You already involved your insurance company and they may raise your rates even if you don't go through them. The minute you called them and brought an adjuster in on the ordeal, you opened a file under your policy. Rates don't go up for life. You can change companies. The records only last for a max of 5 years.