General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

POOR Gas Mileage 2007 Honda Fit Sport

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stvpagn is an unknown quantity at this point
POOR Gas Mileage 2007 Honda Fit Sport

Hi guys! I'm new here and I purchased a 2007 Honda Fit Sport Last week. But I can't get more than 210 Miles with a full tank. I just did an oil change and even changed the spark plugs. And put Lucas into the tank.
I really don't understand why I'm not able to get a minimum of 30mpg when i'm supposed to have 31/38mpg :-(
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20150706_185425.jpg
Views:	470
Size:	3.27 MB
ID:	87853  
Old 07-06-2015
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
jordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nice
Re: POOR Gas Mileage 2007 Honda Fit Sport

How are you tracking mileage?
Need to record how much fuel goes in, how far you travel, several times in order to get an accurate reading.

the 31/38, is that for a Fit SPORT or regular fit?
Googling I got 27/35
https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/noframes/22860.shtml

Furthermore, the city rating is based on moderate stops, such as traffic lights. Getting caught in ANY kind of stop and go traffic will brutally murder your mileage. Furthermore, the tank size is 10.8 Gallons. In my 2014 the tank is 13 gallons, however when the gas light comes on I can rarely get more than 10 or 11 gallons in there. So by the same logic, you are most likely only putting something like 8 or 9 gallons in when you fill up. This is about 23-26 mpg. Remember, any kind of drive through, stop and go traffic, or idling will drop your mpg very quickly.

Sounds like you have normal mileage to me.
Old 07-06-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by jordan1794
How are you tracking mileage?
Need to record how much fuel goes in, how far you travel, several times in order to get an accurate reading.

the 31/38, is that for a Fit SPORT or regular fit?
Googling I got 27/35
https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/noframes/22860.shtml

Furthermore, the city rating is based on moderate stops, such as traffic lights. Getting caught in ANY kind of stop and go traffic will brutally murder your mileage. Furthermore, the tank size is 10.8 Gallons. In my 2014 the tank is 13 gallons, however when the gas light comes on I can rarely get more than 10 or 11 gallons in there. So by the same logic, you are most likely only putting something like 8 or 9 gallons in when you fill up. This is about 23-26 mpg. Remember, any kind of drive through, stop and go traffic, or idling will drop your mpg very quickly.

Sounds like you have normal mileage to me.
I have the Sport edition. My Honda manual says I have a 10.8 Gallon capacity. It's weird that I get really low mileage since I mostly drive on roads that are 55/45 one mile 35 and the rest is 45 followed by 60.
Old 07-06-2015
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Odd question to ask on a Civic forum.

Funny though since I just bought a Fit sport. Like Jordan said you need to track it properly instead of just going by total miles. The Fit has a small gas tank so you may only put 8-9 gallons in it. Last time I filled up i calculated 36.5 the car was telling me 37.3. That was mostley highway with some stop and go.

How much stop and go do you drive? Are you driving short trips?
Old 07-06-2015
Registered!!

I have a 26 minute, 13.9 miles to work everyday. That's weird though. Should I try driving really slow? By slow I mean accelerating really slow or should I use the manual drive instead?
Old 07-06-2015
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,443 Likes on 1,198 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by stvpagn
I have the Sport edition. My Honda manual says I have a 10.8 Gallon capacity. It's weird that I get really low mileage since I mostly drive on roads that are 55/45 one mile 35 and the rest is 45 followed by 60.
Don't matter the tank size. How many gallons did you put in there?!? You have not answered that crucial piece of info yet. Read reply before answering, after all it seem you cannot differentiate a Honda fit from a Honda civic, after all..
Old 07-06-2015
Registered!!

Sorry sorry lol. I put at most 10.40 because I rode the car an extra 10-15 miles when the Empty light came on.
Old 07-06-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

MPG = Miles driven divided by gallons used.
Miles per tank is not relevant in the equation.

Your trip sounds like a bunch of stop and go with high speeds in between.
It takes a lot of gas to accelerate from a stop and hit those speeds.
The car can get decent mileage if you can go a steady speed without stopping or slowing down.
If you could time the lights and traffic right so you don't have to slow down you'd gain some mileage.

Read this thread from like 2 days ago, check the replies and also click the link to the 9th gen forum at the end and read the replies he got there.

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/197-mechanical-problems-vehicle-issues-fix-forum/364508-very-low-mpg-new-2015-ex.html
Old 07-06-2015
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Sorry sorry lol. I put at most 10.40 because I rode the car an extra 10-15 miles when the Empty light came on.
I got 70 miles after light came up. But could be one difference between civics and fits.
One week, one fill up. You are freaking out for nothing... especially if you serviced car in that week...
Old 07-06-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
I got 70 miles after light came up. But could be one difference between civics and fits.
One week, one fill up. You are freaking out for nothing... especially if you serviced car in that week...

Sorry its just that I assumed having a minimum of 31mpg would get me at least 250 miles on a full tank instead of 220. I'll try different driving patterns or roads to see if I can get anything close to 38mpg.
Old 07-06-2015

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

What sort of plugs did you install?
Still got the original plugs?

How many miles are on the car?

Tire pressure?

I have to really work hard to hit the city mileage number in my Civic in warm weather. In the winter it's impossible.
Old 07-06-2015
PITA Admin
Administrator

Sorry its just that I assumed having a minimum of 31mpg would get me at least 250 miles on a full tank instead of 220. I'll try different driving patterns or roads to see if I can get anything close to 38mpg.
I am telling you the empty tank light is not that reliable. Record the gallons you put in then calculate.
Old 07-06-2015
Registered!!

I used the original plugs when I was changing the spark plugs.

Okay then. I'll be sure to write down tomorrow how many gallons go into the tank and what the mileage I end up with by the time the empty light turns on. If anything it really does sound accurate. I don't have a lot of stop lights on my route to work but to everyone else it may be enough to affect my mpg.
Old 07-06-2015
PITA Admin
Administrator

Be sure to join and post on the fit forums. I have no idea what engine and aerodynamic effects a fit have. This is a civic forum, different car... if you have not understood that yet... results could be different even with same engine.

When I get to a computer, your thread will be moved to the general section, for it is not a civic.
Old 07-06-2015
Registered!!

Okay. Thank You :-)
Old 07-06-2015
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light

I used the original plugs when I was changing the spark plugs.

Okay then. I'll be sure to write down tomorrow how many gallons go into the tank and what the mileage I end up with by the time the empty light turns on. If anything it really does sound accurate. I don't have a lot of stop lights on my route to work but to everyone else it may be enough to affect my mpg.
Accurate method for mpg. Fill the tank, reset the trip or note mileage. Drive until the tank is empty...mark the mileage..fill the tank...the gas you put in at this point is what you calculate mpg from.
Old 07-07-2015

Originally Posted by Stock 99
Accurate method for mpg. Fill the tank, reset the trip or note mileage. Drive until the tank is empty...mark the mileage..fill the tank...the gas you put in at this point is what you calculate mpg from.
^witchcraft!^
Old 07-07-2015
Registered!!

5johny5 is an unknown quantity at this point

Check your air filter! If it's plugged it will give you crappy mileage also.
Old 07-08-2015
Registered!!

lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

maybe a dumb question but what grade of gasoline have you been using?
Old 07-09-2015
Registered!!

jordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nice

Actually, air filters being clogged has no effect on gas mileage. The only thing that is affected is peak horsepower.

(Look it up if you don't believe me!)