Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Upcoming CV Axle Change

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2018
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of
Upcoming CV Axle Change

1995 EX (Frankenturd) B20 engine, 96-01 Integra LS manual transmission.

Any tips for preventing a new outer differential seal from leaking when I install the new axle and seal?

Last edited by Wankenstein; 06-20-2018 at 09:21 PM.
Old 06-20-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Upcoming CV Axle Change

You mean how to avoid spilling when you pull the axle out?

Is the bottom of the fill plug hole actually higher than the lip of the axle seal? Will it actually spill?

Tilt the side of the car up on jack stands?
Old 06-20-2018

Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ezone
You mean how to avoid spilling when you pull the axle out?

Is the bottom of the fill plug hole actually higher than the lip of the axle seal? Will it actually spill?

Tilt the side of the car up on jack stands?

I haven't started on it yet. Fill plug hole?..is there one on the differential for Integra LS?

My concern is to get the outer differential seal right the first time so there's no leak when I install the axle. Obviously, it's best to get the mating surface as clean as possible but other than that can a light coat sealant be used between the mating surface and seal?

I've changed a few out on stock D-series and on one seal I had to do it over as it leaked. I used an angled pick to carefully remove the seal and clean the differential side mating surface. Can be somewhat tedious if that seal breaks apart and leftover bits are stuck on.
Old 06-20-2018

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Fill plug hole?..is there one on the
How else would you fill the trans fluid?
can a light coat sealant be used
Factory axle seal outer ring is rubber coated, not bare metal. I just install them as-is. Stick it in the hole and drive it in straight. No issues that I know of.

Should be about the same as any others you've done.
Old 06-21-2018

How else would you fill the trans fluid?
I was thinking there may be a seperate one for both the transmission and differential (like a toyota 2.2l engine). I should know better as Honda didn't have those back in the 90's.

Factory axle seal outer ring is rubber coated, not bare metal. I just install them as-is. Stick it in the hole and drive it in straight. No issues that I know of.
Yes...the seal is solid rubber and the differential housing is metal. I know the service manual doesn't state to use a sealant but, just wondering if some mechanics may use sealant to prevent a possible leak. Again, my goal is to hopefully avoid repeating the install due to that seal possibly leaking.
Old 06-21-2018

The FSM does not tell you to use sealer.
Old 06-21-2018

The FSM does not tell you to use sealer.

Okay. Well, hopefully I'll get it right on the first install (no sealer). I think the key is making absolutely sure the differential's mating surface is spotless. I will order an Acura OEM part.

Looking back on the one that leaked I may have used an aftermarket seal.
Old 06-21-2018

The acura part numbers you posted pre-edit are valid Honda numbers as well. You can get them at whichever dealer brand you want.
Old 06-21-2018

The acura part numbers you posted pre-edit are valid Honda numbers as well. You can get them at whichever dealer brand you want.

Thanks Ezone. Should be this Honda part: https://www.hondapartsnow.com/genuin...%2c11;et=2%2c3) Honda Part No: 91205-PL3-A01
Old 06-21-2018

I meant I looked up these numbers (without further checking)
91260-SR3-003
91260-SR3-004
But now I see those aren't what you want.

Should be this Honda part:
Did you look up the acura part in their catalog first then recheck the numbers in a Honda catalog? (I'm too busy here)
Old 06-21-2018

I meant I looked up these numbers (without further checking)
91260-SR3-003
91260-SR3-004
But now I see those aren't what you want.

Did you look up the acura part in their catalog first then recheck the numbers in a Honda catalog? (I'm too busy here)

The numbers above are what I initially posted last night before editing and they fit '96-'01 Integera LS. I didn't do a direct cross reference to Honda.
The Honda part number: 91205-PL3-A01 fits '96-'00 Civic SI (B16). I was told by the prior (car) owner that any B-series outer seal will work. I'll call my local Honda dealer and see if they can cross reference 91260-SR3-003 & 4 and if not an option I will purchase from Acura.
Thanks .

Last edited by Wankenstein; 06-22-2018 at 04:27 AM.
Old 09-03-2018

Thumbs up Re: Upcoming CV Axle Change

Took 15 minutes to complete the axle because I had to stop by the bank to pull out cash to pay the mechanic who replaced it..
Feeling lazy so had a mechanic about half a mile from me do the work. His labor charge was $80 and I supplied the axle and seal. I think it took him about 1.5 hours to complete the work.

Last edited by Wankenstein; 09-05-2018 at 07:47 AM.