Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Axle seal leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2018
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
relative4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Axle seal leak

Working on a friend's '96 DX hatch manual. Couple months ago, he presented with typical right-side CV joint noise, and right (passenger) boot was torn. Outer, I think. Axle was clearly beyond re-booting, so I had him pick up a reman axle from Napa. Replacement went smoothly, in & out of garage in 45 minutes. Axle popped into diff with a nice normal feel. Symptoms gone, happy friend.
A few weeks later, he was back with a leaky radiator. While the hood was up, I checked my work on the axle, and found a ton of MTF all over the area. Pulled the axle out and measured its sealing face at 35mm. Verified the OEM spec on the seal was for 35mm. The seal felt pretty good, not stiff or anything, but maybe a little loose at 35mm. Sent him to the dealership for an OEM seal and some Honda MTF. New seal went in without difficulty; I set it flush with the outside face of the diff as my googling indicated, and as the old seal was installed. I greased the seal with high-temp grease and reassembled. The seal looked positioned well on the axle's sealing face. Drained and refilled the fluid.
That was like 3 weeks ago. I asked him a while back if he was leaking again, and he said no. Today, come to find out he's leaking at least as bad as before.
So... what have I done wrong, what am I missing here? Is this a common thing with a known solution? Thanks!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Axle seal top.jpg
Views:	1213
Size:	2.22 MB
ID:	111925
Click image for larger version

Name:	Axle seal bottom.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	1.80 MB
ID:	111926
Old 01-18-2018
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of
Re: Axle seal leak

Is it the stock transmission? If not..can possibly use the transmission's ID code to match output shaft seal.
Any deep scratches, old seal remnants or RTV on the differential's mating surface?
Does the OEM seal fit snug when you tapped it in?
Old 01-18-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Did you clean off the trans after the new seal went in?
Hit it with some brake clean and check again after a couple days
Old 01-18-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Megalodong
Is it the stock transmission? If not..can possibly use the transmission's ID code to match output shaft seal.
Any deep scratches, old seal remnants or RTV on the differential's mating surface?
Does the OEM seal fit snug when you tapped it in?
Stock transmission. No damage or contaminants on the mating surface. The seal felt good going in. Pretty sure the leak is between the seal and axle, not between the seal and diff.
Old 01-18-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Colin42
Did you clean off the trans after the new seal went in?
Hit it with some brake clean and check again after a couple days
Yes.
Old 01-18-2018
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by relative4
Yes.
Sounds like the only thing left to try is a different axle. However, if the Napa axle clicked in, seated well and works without issue then it may not make a difference.
Old 01-18-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

New seal got nicked when the axle was installed? Seen it happen more than once.

Push straight up (hard) several times on the inner CV cup of the leaking axle, see how much movement it has inside the trans.........see if the CV cup on the other axle moves when you push up on the leaky side.

Maybe the differential side bearing is going bad, too much play?
Old 01-18-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Push straight up (hard) several times on the inner CV cup of the leaking axle, see how much movement it has inside the trans.........see if the CV cup on the other axle moves when you push up on the leaky side.

Maybe the differential side bearing is going bad, too much play?
You nailed it, diff is shot. You can easily rock the axle pair. Thanks!

Strange that it wasn't leaking with the original axle (and isn't leaking on the driver side which still has the original axle). Is there any chance using an OEM axle would make a seal and allow him to delay replacing the tranny?

Last edited by relative4; 01-18-2018 at 07:08 PM.
Old 01-18-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by relative4
You nailed it, diff is shot. You can easily rock the axle pair. Thanks!

Strange that it wasn't leaking with the original axle (and isn't leaking on the driver side which still has the original axle). Is there any chance using an OEM axle would make a seal and allow him to delay replacing the tranny?
I sure can't answer that....and if it's true then it already needs serious help. Maybe strip the trans and change bearings out before it destroys itself?

Got the original shaft laying around?
I bet if you could measure the area where the seal rides on each shaft there isn't hardly any difference.

Speedi-sleeve comes to mind though, maybe you could find one the right size and slap it on the axle hoping to prolong the inevitable

http://www.industrialbearings.com.au...1338271826.pdf

http://www.oit.edu/docs/default-sour...g.pdf?sfvrsn=2
Old 01-18-2018
Registered!!

Talked to the dude some more, turns out he drove the clicking axle for a month before calling me. Told him to go get the diff fixed, I'm done. Thanks again for your help.