Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

90 civic dx 1.5 running rough

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
90efhatchsyrny is an unknown quantity at this point
90 civic dx 1.5 running rough

Hi, I'm new to this site..I bught my ofirst civic recently and I've noticed a couple things. The car seems like it has a skip in it. I know alot about cars and I know its not a misfire. I changed the oil and checked the plugs and they are fine. Seems like it may be running Rick cause I smell fuel once in a while.when I shut it off and start it a few minutes later it starts seems like its about to stall t hen Idles high then drops to onormal don't knohw too much abut tcars
Old 06-29-2014
Registered!!

civicenter is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 90 civic dx 1.5 running rough

Check or replace plug wires: Use NGK
Replace the plugs: using NON platinum plugs. NGK preferred
Cap and rotor
Check Timing

Next culprit, Distributor, but don't touch it until all the above have been checked and or replaced.
Old 06-29-2014
Registered!!

civicenter is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 90 civic dx 1.5 running rough

Originally Posted by 90efhatchsyrny
Hi, I'm new to this site..I bught my ofirst civic recently and I've noticed a couple things. The car seems like it has a skip in it. I know alot about cars and I know its not a misfire. I changed the oil and checked the plugs and they are fine. Seems like it may be running Rick cause I smell fuel once in a while.when I shut it off and start it a few minutes later it starts seems like its about to stall t hen Idles high then drops to onormal don't knohw too much abut tcars
Short story: I had a similar hiccup once and I ended up removing the distributor to see if I could see anything noticeable. To my surprise I saw that the screw/bolt that holds the rotor in place fell off. This was causing the rotor to spin on the shaft. Never had seen this happen before. Make sure that little bolt/screw is on tight..good luck