General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

For Those of You

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2001
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EvilTwin is an unknown quantity at this point
For those of you who want to lower your Civic here are some rules:

Those who want 17" wheels:
1. Get the widest offset possible(usually +40)
2. If you are going with a wheel with a width of 7.5", don't lower your car more than 1.5" or it will rub. If the width is only 7", then you will be safe with a 2" drop.

Everyone who wants to lower it:
1. If you don't know how to put on coil springs, plan on spending at least $100 for getting them installed.
2. When you get your springs put on, be sure to have the alignment done-another $40.
3. Now for the bad news. You are going to have to spend another $250 for a camber correction kit. If you don't buy one of these kits you will end up spending lots and lots of money on new tires. This will also cost you around $50 to $100 to have installed if you are not mechanically inclined.
Old 11-08-2001
Registered!!

antidote11 is an unknown quantity at this point
One good thing about the Eibach Pro-Kit....there's no need for camber correction. : )
Old 11-08-2001
Registered!!

AFlyer is an unknown quantity at this point
thanks for the info. it was my understanding that if you're only lowering 1-1.5" then you won't need a camber kit, but if you're lowering more, then you will? for those of you with GC coilovers, how long does it take you to adjust your ride height?
Old 11-08-2001
Registered!!

civiclized is an unknown quantity at this point
no camber kit is needed for drops of 1.5 or so...if u go the 2 inch drop then like eviltwin mentioned the camber kit is needed...some places will tell u that camber kits arent needed for that low of a drop, and that all u have to do is take it somewhere and get it aligned, but thats false. cuz if u hit a bump and its low without the camber kit then it will become unbalanced or something like that, so thats why its needed.
Old 11-08-2001
Registered!!

AEMcivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Well, contrary to popular belief, it's not as easy as the guy in the ad....it takes a little more than just reaching inside the fender well with one hand. Much quicker than my friend's coil-overs though. You can reach the back coilovers if you have rims w/ large holes in them, the front you may have to jack up a bit so that you can fit your hand in between the tire and fender. I lift it up when I take it to get my oil changed so that they can fit it on the ramp. Now that I have the routine down, it usually takes me about 5-8 minutes from start to finish.