Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Brake Lights

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2014
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
jamesking91 is an unknown quantity at this point
Brake Lights

So I just bought a 93 civic HB DX. The problem is that when all 3 brake lights are plugged in it blows the fuse. Works just fine if it is the left and middel light or the right and middle light. When i have a bulb in all 3 the fuse blows. Any thoughts? Thinking it is a bad ground wire. Any help??
Old 03-19-2014
Registered!!

Re: Brake Lights

sorry about spelling on my phone.
Old 03-19-2014
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

What is fuse rating ??

Standard bulbs used ??
Old 03-19-2014
Registered!!

Using standard bulbs. I don't know about the fuse rating. Going to take a look at that tonight. Any idea what it should be? Thanks for the reply and help.
Old 03-19-2014

CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Best I can see fuse #42 "stop/horn"= 20amps in rating.

Does it open the instant you step on pedal ?? or take a while ??
Old 03-19-2014
Registered!!

If all bulbs are in the second you hit the break it blows the fuse. Does that sound like the wrong fuse?
Old 03-19-2014
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light

that's wierd....if 2 bulbs are in the fuse doesn't blow? Do you know what type of bulbs they are? I just did a quick google for 1157 bulbs but I'm not sure if that's what they would be...

http://www.run-n-lites.com/bulbspec.asp

but 1157's only draw 2.1 amps each so 3 should be well below the fuse rating. Something else wired into that circut? Any aftermarket wiring in the car? Like a car stereo/amp? Alarm?

I was thinking 'short' the first time I read that but it sounds more like you're exceeding the fuse rating for some reason.
Old 03-20-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stock 99

Something else wired into that circut? Any aftermarket wiring in the car? Like a car stereo/amp? Alarm?
Trunklid wing?

Uhhh
Trailer light adapter?

I was thinking 'short' the first time I read that but it sounds more like you're exceeding the fuse rating for some reason.
Sounds like it......

See if maybe the front park lights are coming on when you step on the brake, that would probably mean the wrong bulb(s) are in the brake lights.
Old 03-21-2014
Registered!!

It has a trunk lid with the light. After market electrical stuff is just a rpm gauge idk about the wiring. And I'm an going look at the bulbs and fuses this afternoon and check the ground wiring. Thanks for the help. I'll let everyone know if any of this works.
Old 03-21-2014

Originally Posted by jamesking91
If all bulbs are in the second you hit the break it blows the fuse. Does that sound like the wrong fuse?
What size was it ??
Old 03-24-2014
Registered!!

So I took a look at the fuses and wiring and put a new fuse(20) in. There is a RPM gauge that is after market but I couldn't tell if it was wired into the brake lights. I would think not because of location and it needing constant power. Just my thinking correct me if I'm wrong. Also replaced the bulbs forget the size of hand but went to Auto Zone and had them pull up the size on the computer. Right now everything seems to be working fine. Thanks for the help. If it happens again I think I am going to take it to a shop so they can take a look at the wiring.
Old 04-18-2014
Registered!!

Well i am going be taking my car to the shop to have them look at the problem. My state requires inspections and mine is up soon so i have to get it taken care of. I had everything working fine and now it is doing the same thing. i put brand new bulbs in and fuses and when i hit the brakes it burns out the bulb. The fuse size is 10 for the brake lights and is still good it just keeps burning the bulbs. I dont what else it could be. If anyone has any tips on wiring or the such any help is great.
The following users liked this post:
The_Elite_620 (05-31-2022)