Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

Left Front Shock Knocks During Full Lock Turns

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2015
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of
Left Front Shock Knocks During Full Lock Turns

1998 Civic EX stock coupe, A/T, 149K miles. Car purchased 6 months ago.
Has a set of KYB front and rear shocks (or front struts if you prefer).

During full-lock left turns there is a knocking noise that I have isolated to the left front shock/spring. Replaced left front CV axle 3,000 miles ago, hub, bearings,ball joint, tie rods all in good shape. Right front CV axle in good shape. 100% sure it's coming from left front shock spring. Shocks and springs do not bounce and seem to be in very good working order. Could this be due to improper installation? Top hat issue? Anyone experience this?

Last edited by Wankenstein; 07-14-2015 at 07:49 PM.
Old 07-14-2015
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: Left Front Shock Knocks During Full Lock Turns

Improperly indexed springs will do that.

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/4...like-pics.html
Old 07-15-2015
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

i would think its more likely to be a ball joint, sway bar end links, or lower control arm bushing
Old 07-17-2015

Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by mikey1
i would think its more likely to be a ball joint, sway bar end links, or lower control arm bushing
I thought so too at first: inspected and tested them (as best I could) and they are not the issue. Pretty sure GolNat has nailed it and I plan to rent a spring compressor today and check it out. Thanks for the replies and I will follow up with results.
Old 07-17-2015
The legs in the public bathroom stall

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
mcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to behold

Just asking, but isn't a 1998 civic a double wishbone suspension? The shock is just that a shock. Yes it is a coilover, but it is still a shock and not technicaly a strut. I am just pointing it out because the shock does NOT turn with the suspension. Are you sure all the bushings are in good condition? I can be hard to see the bushings on the upper control arm since they are way up in the wheelwell. If you can get the noise to occur consistently have someone turn the wheel and place your hands on various components until you find the part that you can "feel" the noise in.
Old 07-18-2015
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

while it's out, check the top mounts too, just in case. (it's more common with 7th gen and newer (McPherson suspension), but just in case. also, the bushings on the shocks and everything else while you are there.
Old 07-20-2015

Originally Posted by mcnoople
Just asking, but isn't a 1998 civic a double wishbone suspension? The shock is just that a shock. Yes it is a coilover, but it is still a shock and not technicaly a strut. I am just pointing it out because the shock does NOT turn with the suspension. Are you sure all the bushings are in good condition? I can be hard to see the bushings on the upper control arm since they are way up in the wheelwell. If you can get the noise to occur consistently have someone turn the wheel and place your hands on various components until you find the part that you can "feel" the noise in.
From info I have read previously you are correct that it's a shock and doesn't turn with the suspension. I think that's the exact issue that last bit of a left turn just before and to full lock the spring assembly shifts/slightly turns and creates the rotational knocking noise.
I checked the upper control visually (LED light) and physically with pressure from a pry bar. Only makes knocking noise during movement and not while parked and turning wheel.

Other threads I have read mention drop (end) links could be the issue.
Old 07-20-2015

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
while it's out, check the top mounts too, just in case. (it's more common with 7th gen and newer (McPherson suspension), but just in case. also, the bushings on the shocks and everything else while you are there.
Thanks. I plan to check it all out carefully.
Old 07-21-2015

My son and I removed the strut today however, the spring compressor I rented from O' Reilly's ..same as this one: http://www.craftsman.com/craftsman-s...p-00947057000P didn't work because the lip base that goes over the spring is too thick and won't fit in between coils. We loosened the nut but notice the entire threaded rod/bolt was turning too. I then noticed there's a slot for an allen wrench to be used to hold the threaded rod/bolt in place when nut is turned.

I didn't see any arrows used for indexing on the spring/shock assembly and not sure if they can be indexed? The bottom of the spring (toward knuckle) is seated as far as it can go in to the lower perch. Since, the compressor we borrowed wasn't going to work we just tighten the strut down and re-installed it on the car. Still making same knocking noise on full-lock left turns.
Old 10-01-2015
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to all

Originally Posted by turd_ferguson
My son and I removed the strut today however, the spring compressor I rented from O' Reilly's ..same as this one: http://www.craftsman.com/craftsman-s...p-00947057000P didn't work because the lip base that goes over the spring is too thick and won't fit in between coils. We loosened the nut but notice the entire threaded rod/bolt was turning too. I then noticed there's a slot for an allen wrench to be used to hold the threaded rod/bolt in place when nut is turned.

I didn't see any arrows used for indexing on the spring/shock assembly and not sure if they can be indexed? The bottom of the spring (toward knuckle) is seated as far as it can go in to the lower perch. Since, the compressor we borrowed wasn't going to work we just tighten the strut down and re-installed it on the car. Still making same knocking noise on full-lock left turns.
Probably a CV joint, or maybe the shock bearing.
Old 10-01-2015
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
emich is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by turd_ferguson

Strut mount is bad
Old 09-26-2023

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Elliott S is an unknown quantity at this point

Ball joints squeak not clunk when bad . Same as worn bushings .
Old 09-26-2023
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

no, they clunk too...
The following users liked this post:
Colin42 (09-26-2023)
Old 09-26-2023
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Never heard one squeak, only clunk