Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

04 Si HB new tires front end sus, now drifting! help!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GH04si is an unknown quantity at this point
04 Si HB new tires front end sus, now drifting! help!!

Hello All!

This is my first post and Im glad to be here!

I have a stock 2004 si HB black, 143k

Recently had worn front end suspension mounts and bad front right strut, I also needed new tires. I had all this done (both front struts, mounts, and tires) at a local, reputable tire center.

I was awaiting having a smoother, straighter and lot quieter ride with the new mounts. I got a call when the car was ready and that, all of the sudden, they noticed the car would drift/pull left/right at all speeds. Short story, I took it back again and they "replaced" the mounts again and no change. They told me they had no idea what was wrong with it. This was not present at all before taking it in for routine work!

----What I notice is at all speeds when a FULL left or right turn is made, the car then has that turn "in memory" so to speak . If I stop at 20mph and take a left turn , the car (after the turn) will then turn left/pull like it has horrible alignment or a flat tire, HARD. Same goes for the opposite direction or even at higher speeds. Alignment and balancing was done and supposedly perfect on the rack.

Now, I'm angry and fight the car daily. It has been 1000 miles on this new setup and it drives worse than my bad strut/old tire period. I would like to take some info from other civic owners and either have another place look at it or go and have this place try some things...hopefully for free!

Thanks for any time and help, I appreciate it!

Griff
Old 04-15-2015
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: 04 Si HB new tires front end sus, now drifting! help!!

Welcome!

Did they give you a print out of the alignment? That could be off.

If I remember correctly caster plays a role in returning the car back to center after turning. Don't think caster is normally adjustable so are the mounts the correct ones? The right one is on the right side of the car? Left on left?
Old 04-15-2015
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

i... can't exactly picture what issue you are having...

explain better.

from what i can take from you explanation, is maybe something seizing?

maybe too much torque on top mounts and the bearings are not being able to move?

or maybe the steering rack was damaged?

or maybe some bolts were tightened too hard?

did you take it to another (maybe more reputable shop, or a good shop) to double check?

i know some that seem shady, but actually run by racers ( i am amateur racer, so i just know the guys)
Old 04-15-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Upper strut mounts missing the bearings? Wrong parts?

Someone competent needs to check it out ASAP.